Frame Height?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Frame Height?

Postby Diemjoe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Does anyone have a pretty accurate method to determine the height of the top of a trailer frame off of the ground based on tire size and leaf springs. I am trying to layout my galley and want to determine how high the base cabinets need to be to have a 36" high countertop. Once I have that figured out I can layout the Skeleton Cut plan for the galley and fenders. I haven't attached the wheels yet so I can get proper weight distribution for tongue weigh control once I have the cabin dry fitted together.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Re: Frame Height?

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:13 pm

It really depends on the trailer, springs, tires and wheels, whether the axle is straight or drop spindle, and, to a certain extent, what the build weight ends up at.

I'm sure you mentioned which trailer you are using in another thread (?), but it sure would be helpful and you will probably get better feedback if you mention it here.

I would shoot for a level tow, or just slightly nose down an inch or so. If the later, that could kick the galley up a small amount, so factor that in.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Diemjoe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:04 pm

Hah, You are right. I have been all over these boards and I appreciate all of the responses. I am going with the Grumman 2 profile without the wheel wells. 5 wide. Straight Axle.14" tires.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:41 pm

Custom built or kit, torsion axle (if so, what start angle?), straight axle, drop axle, slipper springs, double eye/shackle length, spring hanger height? (etc., etc., etc.)

I tried to predict my galley counter height because I was concerned that it would get too high, and it probably will. What it really comes down to for me is the fact that I want the cooler to fit underneath the edge support of the counter. If the counter ends up too high I will have to consider running shorter spring shackles (and having to rework my shock mounts), or switching to smaller tires (down from 31 inches and would no longer match the TV).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:36 am

Standard towing height is 15 - 17 inches. If you set a factory built trailed dead level and measure it I will bet it to be 17". My base cabinets were built to 15" and the tops added about an 1" so on dead level site counter top is 33" a bit shy of the 36" standard but short wife ,short counter, and it worked well. Also remember if you are washing in a dishpan or cooking on a 2 burner portable cook top these add height in and of themselves so a bit low actually feels right with these additions in mind.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets