Best black paint for HF trailer?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Best black paint for HF trailer?

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:57 pm

I'm gonna use that red HF trailer on my next build. Cept I want to paint it black. So I have 2 questions...

1) What's the best way to rough up the red powder coating so that the black paint sticks.

2) What's the best black paint to use for this application?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Best black paint for HF trailer?

Postby Woodbutcher » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:37 pm

Mike ,I scuffed my trailer with 320 grit silicon carbide sandpaper. Then blew it off with compressed air, wiped it all down with Denatured alcohol and painted it with bed liner. Still looks good.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby jonw » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Woodbutcher wrote:Mike ,I scuffed my trailer with 320 grit silicon carbide sandpaper. Then blew it off with compressed air, wiped it all down with Denatured alcohol and painted it with bed liner. Still looks good.

I'd prep it as above and use POR15 to paint it with...
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:20 pm

Both sound good. Decisions decisions!!!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby martymcfly » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:08 pm

I used Van Sickle gloss black tractor paint. It went on very nice with a roller. It is enamel and looks pretty good.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:51 am

martymcfly wrote:I used Van Sickle gloss black tractor paint. It went on very nice with a roller. It is enamel and looks pretty good.

This is great stuff !

I used Van Sicles on the parts that would show. I mopped on black fence post treatment on all the parts that simply needed rust protection.

Heck it even protects wood Image :laughter:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:12 am

p.s. A car wash mitt over a rubber gloved hand cuts application time to a very few minutes. When I said mopped I ment it, dip the car wash mitt in the black goo and go !
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby ajliquidation » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:07 pm

All great suggestions, but I think some of us with these trailers might be looking for a shiny rattle can solution for frame sections that show. All I have done is my floor and some profile ideas so it's not too late for me to add some "hitch paint"... I extended my hitch sixteen inches with 2x2 square steel and still need to coat that with something myself, any suggestions from the pros on here are always appreciated! Thanks Adam in KC :thumbsup:
ajliquidation
Teardrop Builder

Postby martymcfly » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:02 pm

I bought the tractor paint at a local farm and garden store. It was twenty bucks for a quart. I used about half a quart to paint my 5x9 made out of 2x2 including axle and tongue. I should have bought the pint instead. It also comes in a rattle can.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:24 pm

I am happy with the POR15 I used on my double axle flat bed. That one sat out in the raw for many years. It suffered from an even coat of rust with (surprisingly limited) pitting. When I finally got around to finishing the build I Power wire brushed, wiped with solvent, brushed on POR15, top coated with their recommended UV rated top coat and it has continued to sit outside in New England coastal weather (snow, rain, humidity, sun, fall leafs, mold, etc.) for many more years with no signs of degradation.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby 39Ratrod » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:29 pm

I have had great luck with the ACE brand Appliance Epoxy. It's what I paint all my roll cages and bumpers with.
The biggest difference between a dreamer and a doer is the follow through.
39Ratrod
Teardrop Master

Postby dogscats » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:14 am

Heavy duty steel frame with baked enamel finish .It would seem a good enamel paint with a heat lamp would work
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby iregan » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:07 am

I would think Por15 would be the most durable, and would definitely use it on an on/off road trailer frame. For a street frame I think any decent farm implement paint would work perfect and be much cheaper.
Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

Postby javajaws » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:15 pm

I've actually been painting my frame all weekend. Because it is scratch built i started cleaning it with SPI 700 cleaner, then 710 cleaner, then two coats of SPI black epoxy primer sprayed 30-60 minutes apart (I had all this leftover from a previous project). Because the primer isn't uv proof i top coated it with Rustoleum satin black thinned with acetone and sprayed in an hvlp gun.

If your looking for a matte black kind of look I can say the satin black looks outstanding.

In your case I would suggest sanding with 250-320 grit to rough it up then spray what you want. I chose Rustoleum for the simple matter of being able to grab a rattle can of it anywhere for touch ups. I could have chosen a harder single stage urethane instead but touch ups later would be a big hassle.
javajaws
Teardrop Builder

Postby atomaker » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:07 am

The Eastwood company, which I use for my welding stuff and other projects, has a kit for hot rod frames. It comes with two cans of black primer and two cans of gloss paint like older cars used to have on their frames. It tough, shiny and pretty fool proof, at least it works for this fool :D
Completed? first teardrop July 2010, 4X8 Cubby.
atomaker
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets