Nice base for a new build (Europe)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Nice base for a new build (Europe)

Postby Overnuts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:18 am

Hi,
as I live in France, due to european rules , building a custom frame is not an option
I've found a trailer manufacturer and this trailer seems to be compliant with my teardrop project

The frame is 2,53m X 1,32m ( 100 x 50 )
allowing 750 kgs

any advice ?
-- this message can be strange due to my english skill, cause I'm french (and serious) --
my cargo build: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=62745#p1135613
Overnuts
Teardrop Builder

Re: Nice base for a new build (Europe)

Postby dales133 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:25 am

What's the regulations there concerning custom dimention trailers?
Do the sides ect come off that one easily?
1.3 might be a bit narrow...is that the measurement side to side excluding gaurds?
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Overnuts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:40 am

In fact, the rules are not differents between a custom (I mean build by me) trailer and a manufacturer.
Regulations are mostly on frame design, weight and brakes, and are applyied in the same way
For dimensions:
Maximum length 12m (a bit to much :-) )
Maximum width 2.20m
-- this message can be strange due to my english skill, cause I'm french (and serious) --
Overnuts
Teardrop Builder

Postby teddy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:56 am

If you don't mind using a used frame, try an old one from a caravan, as they are the right width. I don't know if the rules in France are different from here in Le Pays Bas, but here its no problem at all. I use one, and ive seen quite a few others who do the same. Keep in mind, check if its allowed to weld on the frame, and drill holes in it. Mounting holes are usually not a problem, as the old caravan needed mounting too, but welding might be needed according to your plans. (just make nice factory looking welds :) )
teddy
Donating Member

Postby Overnuts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:13 am

Hi teddy, I've checked your blog, nice job.

I don't mind to use a used frame but I'm a bit afraid of what kind of fate I can get if I get a crash on the holiday's highway ?!

Using a used frame to build a new teardrop, ok but what about "re"homologation ?
any people, even not expert in trailer, can do the difference between these :
and

This is the biggest problem I saw on a such build.

In france, small trailer (utility) less than 500 kg load home made was tolerated before november 2012, but no more
Overnuts
Teardrop Builder

Postby dales133 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:20 am

Overnuts wrote:In fact, the rules are not differents between a custom (I mean build by me) trailer and a manufacturer.
Regulations are mostly on frame design, weight and brakes, and are applyied in the same way
For dimensions:
Maximum length 12m (a bit to much :-) )
Maximum width 2.20m

The regs sound pretty much in line with australia.
Over 750 kg needs brakes and dimensions are the same.
It realy depends what size you want to make it.
Mines 1540mm internal dimensions. ..that's inside the house...Overall it's just under 1600.
I wouldn't recommend doing what I've done size wise if on a budget because material costs are a most double as it takes 2 sheets to do what one can do on a shorter narrower build.
It's worth it though if you factor in the costs as its much roomier and fits a full size queen
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby teddy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:08 am

Overnuts wrote:Hi teddy, I've checked your blog, nice job.
Using a used frame to build a new teardrop, ok but what about "re"homologation ?
any people, even not expert in trailer, can do the difference between these :
and

This is the biggest problem I saw on a such build.

In france, small trailer (utility) less than 500 kg load home made was tolerated before november 2012, but no more

Ahh, over here up to 750 kg including trailer itself is alowed to be homebuild.

Yes, optical there is a difference, but (again over here) it is still a caravan. (my info comes from an inspector at our version of the DMV) I spend about an hour on the phone with the guy before i started my build, asking loads of questions about the frame, lights, inspections etc. i don't know if its possible for you to call them, but it might trow some light on your dilemma.

Another thing, is it still alowed to use the homebuild 500 kg trailer if it was build before 2012? If so, dont put a date on your trailer :)
teddy
Donating Member

Postby Overnuts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:59 am

teddy wrote:Ahh, over here up to 750 kg including trailer itself is alowed to be homebuild.

hey ! I always forget europe is building itself at many speeds :)

teddy wrote:Yes, optical there is a difference, but (again over here) it is still a caravan. (my info comes from an inspector at our version of the DMV) I spend about an hour on the phone with the guy before i started my build, asking loads of questions about the frame, lights, inspections etc. i don't know if its possible for you to call them, but it might trow some light on your dilemma.

I send them an email, asking many aspects:
- list of inspected things
- what if I build on homologated frame
- what if I build on an old used frame
let's wait ...

teddy wrote:Another thing, is it still alowed to use the homebuild 500 kg trailer if it was build before 2012? If so, dont put a date on your trailer :)

This is a dutch way to do it :) , I was thinking about putting a fat "2011" on it ! :lol:
Overnuts
Teardrop Builder

Postby H.A. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:14 am

Overnuts wrote:Hi,
as I live in France, due to european rules , building a custom frame is not an option
I've found a trailer manufacturer and this trailer seems to be compliant with my teardrop project

The frame is 2,53m X 1,32m ( 100 x 50 )
allowing 750 kgs

any advice ?

Looks good to start off.
Can it be purchased without the gates & sidewalls, Might be a bit cheaper ??
Ops ! As I think of it, I believe the sidewalls of that trailer contribute much of its structural strength. While adding your house would effectively duplicate that strength & rigidity, Maybe its manufacturer or French Rules would not allow it as that would be putting a sub-standard trailer out on the roads with no assurance a adequate structure would be built upon ?

Wish we could reasonably buy those type of trailers here in N. America.
There are too many archaic entrenched monsters within whats 'normal' for American roadways...
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Overnuts » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:30 pm

H.A. wrote:Looks good to start off.
Can it be purchased without the gates & sidewalls, Might be a bit cheaper ??

Yes, for a "flat" version, price is 690 EUR

H.A. wrote:Ops ! As I think of it, I believe the sidewalls of that trailer contribute much of its structural strength. While adding your house would effectively duplicate that strength & rigidity, Maybe its manufacturer or French Rules would not allow it as that would be putting a sub-standard trailer out on the roads with no assurance a adequate structure would be built upon ?

I don't believe on structural effect.
I get another one: Image
in a flat way: 890 EUR
base is 2m50 x 1m40, the perfect size !!

H.A. wrote:Wish we could reasonably buy those type of trailers here in N. America.
There are too many archaic entrenched monsters within whats 'normal' for American roadways...

That's funny, while reading teardrop blogs and forums, I was think exactly the opposite !
"what a luck to get a harborfreight heavy duty for peanuts" !! :)
Overnuts
Teardrop Builder

Postby Overnuts » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:11 pm

For the previous post, I went to the trailer shop this afternoon to see it in real life.

I'm happy, the frame is 2m55 x 1m47, so a mastress 2.00x1.40 can fit (may be 2.10 :thumbsup: !) !
The full length is 3m68.

My biggest doubt was the axle position, and it is not a problem, the trailer can be provided with 2 axles,
so the frame has many holes positions to set a single axle position.
I could be able to set it on rear, even when the "box" is done.

So this trailer is good. :R
I will try to check prices in other places.

I've read the whole build log here: http://teardropbuilder.com/build-journa ... d-pictures
and it has enlighted me many assembly between frame and box.
It's a really nice build.
Overnuts
Teardrop Builder

Postby H.A. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:09 pm

Overnuts wrote:That's funny, while reading teardrop blogs and forums, I was think exactly the opposite !
"what a luck to get a harborfreight heavy duty for peanuts" !! :)

Peanuts... Well one gets what they pay for.
HF kits and the like are the most total piece of crap.
Mystery steel, cheap paintwork, loose tolerances and so on...
Add to that, Assembly by persons of unknown qualities...

Your European example.
Some advanced engineering & manufacturing there.
Galvanised steel, Tapered drawbar members, Better lighting & reflexes. On & on....
Good luck with your building.
H.A.
The 300 Club

Postby Overnuts » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:39 am

H.A. wrote:Your European example.
Some advanced engineering & manufacturing there.
Galvanised steel, Tapered drawbar members, Better lighting & reflexes. On & on....
Good luck with your building.

A Kind of "European dream " :D

I will be back soon with drafts.
Overnuts
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets