Wooden Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Wooden Frame

Postby rowerwet » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:02 am

Motorcycle wheels have a down side, they are not designed to take side loads. When you corner a bike you lean it, keeping the force pushing mostly down from the hub to the rim. On a trailer the cornering force becomes a side load, trying to twist the rim under the hub.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:05 am

Last edited by rowerwet on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby dales133 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:14 am

I've seen a few of those Morgan's in the flesh.beautifuly made cars.
I've also spent alot of time in Asia and they have alot of timber framed, leaf sprung carts/trailers and some carry some serious weight and the tropical timbers they are made out of arnt anywhere near as strong as thier cold climate counterparts as a general rule.
Good luck with your project I recon it's entirely feasible and would just require some decent brackets for suspension and drawbar mounts.
I'll be watching with interest
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby TrailerEd » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:26 pm

Does anyone have or know of a side view, drawing, sketch, template for a Scotty Sportsman Jr style profile?
I am looking around but can not find a straight on side view?
Ed
Do it Right, or Don't do it at All.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Best I could do Ed !

http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/rebuilds/scotty8/index.html

Looks kinda like a benroy that they started the galley hatch taper too soon :laughter:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TrailerEd » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:59 pm

bobhenry wrote:Best I could do Ed !

http://www.nationalserroscotty.org/rebuilds/scotty8/index.html

Looks kinda like a benroy that they started the galley hatch taper too soon :laughter:

Thanks Bob,
Now that I see it I can say I have seen that site location before! Ha! Old age and memory issues I guess!
What do you think of Scotty Sportsman style done as a woodie?

Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:05 am

Unless you have inside storage 365 days a year do yourself a favor and forget woodies. They are beautiful and I love them but after the heart break of watching Chubby being attached by the weather I went to frp skins for my next two builds. Yes there are a couple coatings that will help but the Midwest winters are not kind if they are left out. Just my two cents worth.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TrailerEd » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:06 am

bobhenry wrote:Unless you have inside storage 365 days a year do yourself a favor and forget woodies. They are beautiful and I love them but after the heart break of watching Chubby being attached by the weather I went to frp skins for my next two builds. Yes there are a couple coatings that will help but the Midwest winters are not kind if they are left out. Just my two cents worth.

Well Bob I do appreciate you 2 cents! And if it helps steer a newbie away from trouble it might be worth $1.50. :lol:
I have only been in MO for 2 yrs now and I can see what you mean. Winters are a a bit harsh with the freezing rain stuff. I too do love the looks of them. I will keep this all in mind and plan to keep it inside if I go that route!
Thanks for the advise.
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Rooky » Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:59 pm

I saved this from the site a couple years ago. It is one of my favorite profiles. Hope it helps.

Rodger & Tami
Rooky
Teardrop Builder

Postby TrailerEd » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:14 pm

Rooky wrote:I saved this from the site a couple years ago. It is one of my favorite profiles. Hope it helps.

Dude that is so awesome! Wow, Thank you! It is one of my favorite profiles too. I think it was the photo back on page one of this thread. Such a simple sleek look. Also Frank at Vintage Technologies makes a version of this that is awesome!
Thanks again!
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ctstaas » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:35 am

Hi TrailerEd, I like what Bob Henry said about a towing tree. If that tree were a simple steel Tee with a wooden cabin on top- plenty strong. Mine is overbuilt and it wasn't necessary. A lot of extra time, cost and weight and will be good to go 20 years after I'm gone, so it depends on what you want.
Enjoy, Chris
ctstaas
Teardrop Master

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:02 pm

ctstaas wrote:Hi TrailerEd, I like what Bob Henry said about a towing tree. If that tree were a simple steel Tee with a wooden cabin on top- plenty strong. Mine is overbuilt and it wasn't necessary. A lot of extra time, cost and weight and will be good to go 20 years after I'm gone, so it depends on what you want.
Enjoy, Chris

Yes, the more I research, the more I am convinced that, because the principle idea of a teardrop style trailer is small, compact and light weight, that a simplified but strong frame is best. Minimal is what the whole thing is about to me.
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:04 am

I know it would make an odd shape, but you could avoid a tounge all together by making the four corners of the tear cross section taper in together to the coupler, the extra enclosed area would make great storage. Or you could make laminated beams in the same shape and have them flow into a normal tear shape.
With the whole shape flowing to the coupler the walls would be the load bearing structure and very little would need reinforcement or lamination.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:53 pm

rowerwet wrote:I know it would make an odd shape, but you could avoid a tounge all together by making the four corners of the tear cross section taper in together to the coupler, the extra enclosed area would make great storage. Or you could make laminated beams in the same shape and have them flow into a normal tear shape.
With the whole shape flowing to the coupler the walls would be the load bearing structure and very little would need reinforcement or lamination.

I think I will have to try one trailer in time that is all wooden and all but I do like the traditional designs. I am just not sure which one I want to try first!
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby angib » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:39 am

rowerwet wrote:I know it would make an odd shape, but you could avoid a tounge all together by making the four corners of the tear cross section taper in together to the coupler....

That's more or less what I did with this all-plywood design where there is a structural tongue box that becomes the coupler. Of course, it isn't structural if it has an opening (except in the back) so it just looks like a tongue box, but doesn't open like one.

The red bits are metal as it's hard to avoid using metal to provide very local reinforcement - metal bolts are also good, as timber bolts have a bad reputation.......
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets