Wooden Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Wooden Frame

Postby TrailerEd » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:05 pm

I have read several discussions here so far on this. By the way, this is an awesome site with wonderful people, loaded with great info! Loving it!!!!
My question is;
If I wanted to build a wooden, structural frame instead of steel (going old school), do you think it is best used on shorter, more localized trips vs. long road trips?
Do you think the long term effects of the hazards of the road will cause damage to the actual wooden frame? Give me your thoughts.
Has anyone done this and what has been your experience?

I have read Mike's Ultra lite design ideas. I would want to have a steel tube tongue. I am thinking half torsion axles as well.
P.S. I am just throwing out a question here as I am researching all kinds of ideas as I think thru what it is I really like and want to try!
Thanks
Do it Right, or Don't do it at All.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Wooden Frame

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:57 am

The Conestoga wagon that migrated us west was capable of carrying up to 6 tons. So I am sure a wooden frame would be capable but will todays highway laws let you.

I think as long as the axle tree and the tongue were steel there would be little resistance to the remainder of the trailer structure being made out of a good hardwood such as oak, hickory , or elm. Timber frame Joinery will be helpful to investigate. There are many very unusual and for the most part forgotten methods of making ultra strong wood connections.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pin+and+peg+wood+joinery&qpvt=Pin+and+peg+wood+jointery&qpvt=Pin+and+peg+wood+jointery&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=635423BE2962A34B3F5ADFC1FBF235C56AE7FE57&selectedIndex=47
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks for the reply and input,

bobhenry wrote:The Conestoga wagon that migrated us west was capable of carrying up to 6 tons. So I am sure a wooden frame would be capable but will todays highway laws let you.

I think as long as the axle tree and the tongue were steel there would be little resistance to the remainder of the trailer structure being made out of a good hardwood such as oak, hickory , or elm. Timber frame Joinery will be helpful to investigate. There are many very unusual and for the most part forgotten methods of making ultra strong wood connections.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=pin+and+peg+wood+joinery&qpvt=Pin+and+peg+wood+jointery&qpvt=Pin+and+peg+wood+jointery&FORM=IGRE#view=detail&id=635423BE2962A34B3F5ADFC1FBF235C56AE7FE57&selectedIndex=47

I was thinking the same thing. Good hard wood. Custom joinery. And, some research into what the inspection process looks for here to get it licensed.
I was thinking of drilling out bolt holes in the wood to receive steel tubing inserts for bolts to go thru, just to strengthen the connections.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:01 pm

I'm quite certain it can be done with the correct joinery. I think you might spend more money on hardwood than you would steel. And it may be difficult to find the proper dimmensions (such as 3" thick timbers and then there is the issue of finding a bandsaw that could handle them if they need to be ripped). I know that oak prices have skyrocketted caused by increase demand in oak barrels for small-time distillers.

Not trying to throw water on your idea, it's just increased challenges and sometimes that's what we're really looking for. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:09 pm

Here Ed if you aren't challenged enough why not try this as a corner joint ..............Image :rofl2:
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Not trying to throw water on your idea, it's just increased challenges and sometimes that's what we're really looking for. :thumbsup:

Tony[/quote]

Well Tony that's the cool part, the challenges. Lucky I live in an area where old barn timbers can be found. They usually are made from oak or long leaf pine, which with time harden. So the structure part is a given with the age of the wood, being that some of these pcs. are in the 100 yr old catagory. And yes of course with the wood aging like that you have a weight issue that must be considered, because they can be heavy pcs.
Also, I am fortunate enough to have a jumbo band saw for resawing lumber. Big guy stands 7' tall and 5hp motor.
But I agree with what you are saying. It would have to be more of a labor of love!
ED
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:23 pm

bobhenry wrote:Here Ed if you aren't challenged enough why not try this as a corner joint ..............Image :rofl2:

Funny you should post that. I was thinking of a pinned lap joint. But I do like the one you posted even better!! Thanks.
Now my mind is spinning with ideas and I won't be able to focus on work! Ha
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby 48Rob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:23 am

Here is one with a wood frame.

Rob

Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby len19070 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:30 am

These Teardrops had wooden Frames.

And if I'm not mistaken the original Slumber Coaches did as well.

Grant?

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby TrailerEd » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:11 am

Thank you Rob and Len for the photos. I spent some time looking at the Slumber Coaches last night. I do like the design and styling of them. I like the looks of that little one with the orange fenders too.

Do you know what style/model it would be called? Maybe like a Benroy?

I really appreciate your input. This is a great site! :thumbsup:
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom Kurth » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 pm

I've seen wood frame plans somewhere. Perhaps a link from this site? An old Popular Mechanics article, I think.

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:52 am

Love the added coil spring and super sketchy upper mount for same in the pic Rob posted. :R :frightened:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:32 am

That was some real engineering...pipe strap and roofing nails... :R :frightened:

Hope nobody got hurt when it let loose!

Looks like the original builder did a good job attaching the leaf springs though.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby TrailerEd » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:40 am

[quote="len19070"]These Teardrops had wooden Frames.

Len,
Can you tell me what style/kind/flavor/brand name this one is?
Was it yours?
Do you know where I could view more photos of it?
I am liking the style/looks of this one. The looks of it really appeal to us. 8)
Thanks
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TrailerEd » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:47 am

KCStudly wrote:Love the added coil spring and super sketchy upper mount for same in the pic Rob posted. :R :frightened:

I love the Tensioner! A piece of holy iron strapping!

Almost looks like the flooring was T&G strip flooring, just like in an old house. I love it!
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets