Wooden Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Wooden Frame

Postby TrailerEd » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:41 pm

Thanks rowerwet,
I would love to see that thread if you find it and want to share it.
I agree that the teardrops are a very strong box when completed. The frame is basically extra weight is what started my thinking process on this whole wood frame idea. Along with the fact that a lot of original tear designs did not have full steel frames.

Plus the fact I cannot help but think that it would just be cool to have a tear that is truly 90% wood!
Ed
Do it Right, or Don't do it at All.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:27 pm

KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GuitarPhotog » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:16 pm

Just a note here: Wikipedia says that a typical Conestoga wagon weighed about 1300 lbs empty and typically carried 2,000 lbs of cargo.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:23 pm

TrailerEd wrote:I have read several discussions here so far on this. By the way, this is an awesome site with wonderful people, loaded with great info! Loving it!!!!
My question is;
If I wanted to build a wooden, structural frame instead of steel (going old school), do you think it is best used on shorter, more localized trips vs. long road trips?
Do you think the long term effects of the hazards of the road will cause damage to the actual wooden frame? Give me your thoughts.
Has anyone done this and what has been your experience?

I have read Mike's Ultra lite design ideas. I would want to have a steel tube tongue. I am thinking half torsion axles as well.
P.S. I am just throwing out a question here as I am researching all kinds of ideas as I think thru what it is I really like and want to try!
Thanks

Hi Ed,

Some years ago member Dave (dwgriff1) built an all wood teardrop similar to what you are proposing. You may want to check his gallery & read his posts: search.php?author_id=1224&sr=posts
As I recall he had some issues with the tongue & changed it to steel.

IMO, bolting a single steel tongue may add additional weight in wood, tend to flex & pull on the wood horizontally, as well as vertically. I think Jon gave you good advise about using a V tongue. Also note that he used a full torsion axle. Again, IMO, half axles may add more wood weight to mount to & have alignment issues. What half axles are you considering? Some of them that I've seen (Northern Tool / Harbor Freight) are made for utility trailers. Wrong start angle & load range for a light weight teardrop. So, if you go with half axles, consider ride height, load, wheel stud pattern, overhang (distance from mounting bracket to hub face - affects the track width & tire clearance to cabin body) & brakes.

Two more chassis designs to consider:

Andrew's Ultra Lite: http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear57.htm

My Minimalist chassis design: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220

You could sheath the steel in wood. :R

Welcome to the forum & good luck with your build, Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:27 pm

GuitarPhotog wrote:Just a note here: Wikipedia says that a typical Conestoga wagon weighed about 1300 lbs empty and typically carried 2,000 lbs of cargo.

<Chas>
:beer:

Ya & from what I've heard they traveled slow & broke down a lot. :lol:
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:22 pm

The big freight wagons like Coors and bud use in the commercials hauled close to 6k.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:40 pm

Thanks Fred,
Love the ideas all flowing around. I like the A frame tongue idea. I have been looking at a few of them. Seems like a good easy way to go.
The torsion half axles are cool but seem to cost as much for the good ones as full torsion axles. I was looking at one that had adjustable angles. But seems like the full axle is pretty much the same cost and more stable in the long run.

Love the all wood frame tear. Really cool. I would want to make the bottom visible, so one could show off all the woodworking under the trailer.

So far I think I will have to ultimately build several styles of tears. I just like to many styles and options!

I do want to thank all of you for all the ideas and input. It is really cool how helpful so many people are here on this site! A great place!

Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:44 pm

rowerwet wrote:The big freight wagons like Coors and bud use in the commercials hauled close to 6k.

So many thing where built with wood in the past and most of them were tried and true for the purposes they served.
Nice to know I can use my teardrop as a beer wagon!
I did read that part about the 6k. Kind of amazing!

Thanks
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:38 pm

TD beer wagon? Now you are talking foamie speak! the proverbial 500 lbs of beer ballast. :R :D
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:48 pm

KCStudly wrote:TD beer wagon? Now you are talking foamie speak! the proverbial 500 lbs of beer ballast. :R :D

Well what I have learned on this site about how Foamie's are built, is the whole trailer could be a beer cooler, traveling down the road!
I like it!
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby martymcfly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:19 pm

I just bought a 1977 Vanson boat trailer last weekend for $125. The springs, axle, and fenders are all one piece that is bolted to the boat frame with 5 bolts on each side. A set up like this might lend itself to an application like the pic above posted by Alaskan teardrop. The only problem is that it is 72 inches wide.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby TrailerEd » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:14 pm

martymcfly wrote:I just bought a 1977 Vanson boat trailer last weekend for $125. The springs, axle, and fenders are all one piece that is bolted to the boat frame with 5 bolts on each side. A set up like this might lend itself to an application like the pic above posted by Alaskan teardrop. The only problem is that it is 72 inches wide.

Yeah ya know I found a single jet ski trailer last week for $200 that I thought would be perfect as well. Problem is the frame only measured 44" out to out and I want to build a 5' wide. But the principle of the trailer was simple, minimal frame and light weight.
Seems I find the deals that are too big or too small.
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:18 pm

I worked on aerobatic aircraft for a while, the top performing aircraft at the time were the Extra 300. They used a wooden spar for the wing, wood will stand up to more repeated flexing loads than the same weight in metal. The aircraft could take 6 g's positive or negative, a real strain on the pilot.
The church I'm the caretaker for has only laminated wood arches to support the roof something like 10 layers of 1x4" lumber, beautiful to look at and much stronger than a truss roof.
A frame built of laminated wood could be lighter and stronger than steel. I would have the frame be the outer corners of the walls, then make the tounge a triangular shape with one arm sweeping up from the coupler flowing into the roof. For even more strength a thin plywood Webb tying the triangle frame together also laminated with marine epoxy.
The bottom two legs of the triangle would flow out and back and graft into the laminated frames making up the perimeter of the walls.
This kind of monocoque construction is what you see in air craft and boats.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby TrailerEd » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:56 pm

rowerwet wrote:I worked on aerobatic aircraft for a while, the top performing aircraft at the time were the Extra 300. They used a wooden spar for the wing, wood will stand up to more repeated flexing loads than the same weight in metal. The aircraft could take 6 g's positive or negative, a real strain on the pilot.
The church I'm the caretaker for has only laminated wood arches to support the roof something like 10 layers of 1x4" lumber, beautiful to look at and much stronger than a truss roof.
A frame built of laminated wood could be lighter and stronger than steel. I would have the frame be the outer corners of the walls, then make the tounge a triangular shape with one arm sweeping up from the coupler flowing into the roof. For even more strength a thin plywood Webb tying the triangle frame together also laminated with marine epoxy.
The bottom two legs of the triangle would flow out and back and graft into the laminated frames making up the perimeter of the walls.
This kind of monocoque construction is what you see in air craft and boats.

I agree with all you have said about laminated structural pieces. I have not looked into airplanes much but can see where it plays a big part. I have been in cabinet/furniture making and construction all my life. Many many uses of laminated beams and structural items. As strong as steel and much easier to work with. Plus the element of beauty can be seen. I know that wood tends to flex and not snap like steel joints can. Steel also bends and does not always flex back.
Floor systems and beams from TJI Corp. are all just laminated plywood. And many many structures we see in life are built on their principle.
I can kinda picture what you are saying about the trailer frame design.
I am thinking of a wood frame to hold the floor and walls. With a steel A frame/tongue that extends to the connection point of the axle. I am thinking the walls will sit on the frame and not cover it. That way the joinery in the frame can be seen. Shown off as a design element. I am even thinking of glassing and sealing the frame clear so it can be seen as a beauty design element.
I am grateful for your thoughts and ideas. Keep em coming. All this input is spurring my mind to new ideas! Thank you!
Ed
TrailerEd
Teardrop Advisor

Postby iregan » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:54 am

I'm starting to think a wood frame foamy would be the ultimate econobox camper, I don't see why the weight couldn't be in the 500 pound range if not lower.
I would just build the frame with a truss style of triangulation for part of the lower walls with the floor handling any racking that could happen. I wonder if it would be light enough to use motorcycle rear wheels and suspension,,, broken down Chinese dirtbikes, anyone?
Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets