Brake controller install

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Brake controller install

Postby dexstrom » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 pm

I'm getting a Prodigy P2 brake controller installed to enhance safety towing my tiny trailer. I've never towed with trailer brakes and would like to know what can occur over time with such a system. Anyone have experiences with brake system malfunctions or failures and the consequences? Are these controllers bullet proof or do they require frequent attention? Any advice is appreciated.

Daniel
dexstrom
Teardrop Builder

Re: Brake controller install

Postby Shadow Catcher » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:31 pm

The only brake failure was that the factory did not actually hook up the trailer brake wires. The P2 is one of the best and if everything is hooked up right works well.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby kayakdlk » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 pm

The only issue I have is sometime when switching between vehicles (I have two vehicle that I use the same Prodigy P3 controller in), or if power is lost the power setting on the controller goes back to zero. I seem to forget that and when I start towing and when applying the brake nothing happens, I start thinking the brakes are not working then I final figure out it is set to zero so once I adjust the power setting back to what it is suppose to be the brakes start working correctly.

I was also concerned that there isn't an off switch on my controller, so I was worried the battery would run down. I finally figure out it has a built is shutoff (Kind of like headlight that stay on for a while) and doesn't wear the battery down. The P3 seems very reliable and easy to use. I think the P2 should be the same.

Dan
kayakdlk
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Verna » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:45 pm

Etrailer has some really good videos about the different brake controllers they sell at Etrailer.com
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:01 am

Nothing to it. Just follow the directions that come with the unit and you'll have no issues. I've got a p3 and it's awesome.

The one point of battery drain....if you are using the battery charge line on the. 7 pin connector, make sure you either unplug it or have a battery isolator installed if your vehicle doesn't have one. The trailer could deplete the car battery if left plugged in....especially after you've used it for a few days. This has nothing to do with the controller though.

The controller itself draws very little power, and the p3 shuts itself off,,,I'm sure the p2 does as well. I've left mine installed for a year without ever having an issue.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dexstrom » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:26 am

Thanks for the replies. As for the battery charge line, I'm not sure I want it connected at all. My trailer has 4 LED light that each draw 0.2 amps and we seldom use them, not more than an hour per day. So the battery doesn't even register the drain on a 3-4 day trip. The battery is fully charged before we leave and I carry a solar panel so the battery charge wiring really isn't needed.

Daniel
dexstrom
Teardrop Builder

Postby GerryS » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:26 am

Our load is a little more than that :)

We've got a light in the galley, interior, 2 "porch lights" and a wayco/dometic fridge and a TV/DVDs for post skeeter emergence. Our small battery lasts us about 3 days without shore power.

We rarely stay in one place for more than that, but it's nice to know I'll be charged up when I get there. I'm still not sold on LED. For campers. My house I've got quite a few. But the camper one I bought for testing is cold, bright, flickers, and in general ruins my calm. And it was wasn't a cheap bulb. :(
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets