Electric Brakes for a Torflex #9 Axle?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Electric Brakes for a Torflex #9 Axle?

Postby Hennesseystealth » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:19 pm

My camper should come in under the 1500# limit but was thinking about adding some safety margins for braking by adding brakes. I checked with Redneck Trailer and they are pricing at $320 for the pair (drums and brakes). That seems high to me but I have never priced them out before. Anyone have any comments or suggestions where to look for better pricing?
Thanks
Hennesseystealth
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Electric Brakes for a Torflex #9 Axle?

Postby jss06 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:22 pm

That is about what I paid for the brakes and drums I purchased from etrailer.
jss06
Palladium Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:57 pm

My leaf sprung axle by itself, with loose spring perches, was only $120 dollars, but the bearing set/lug nut/drum hub kits, brake backing plate assemblies and u-bolts pushed it up into the high $400 range (I want to say $472 off the top of my head). So that doesn't sound off to me at all.

Don't forget to budget for a brake controller (for the TV), and breakaway kit. The breakaway kit gets mounted to the tongue and includes a lanyard actuated safety switch and small self charging 12v wet cell battery/holder. When you couple up you loop the lanyard thru where the safety chains attach. If the trailer uncouples and wanders away from the TV, the lanyard pulls a plastic pin out of the safety switch and uses the battery to activate the trailer brakes. The components are available separately, and I haven't found anything that says you can't use the "hotel" battery for the breakaway kit; so that's what I plan to do; wire the switch and brakes into my main camper battery. (If anyone knows differently why it shouldn't be done this way, please feel free to provide a reference.)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Nobody » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:40 pm

KCStudly wrote:My leaf sprung axle by itself, with loose spring perches, was only $120 dollars, but the bearing set/lug nut/drum hub kits, brake backing plate assemblies and u-bolts pushed it up into the high $400 range (I want to say $472 off the top of my head). So that doesn't sound off to me at all.

Don't forget to budget for a brake controller (for the TV), and breakaway kit. The breakaway kit gets mounted to the tongue and includes a lanyard actuated safety switch and small self charging 12v wet cell battery/holder. When you couple up you loop the lanyard thru where the safety chains attach. If the trailer uncouples and wanders away from the TV, the lanyard pulls a plastic pin out of the safety switch and uses the battery to activate the trailer brakes. The components are available separately, and I haven't found anything that says you can't use the "hotel" battery for the breakaway kit; so that's what I plan to do; wire the switch and brakes into my main camper battery. (If anyone knows differently why it shouldn't be done this way, please feel free to provide a reference.)

KCS - I've owned 3 different factory RV trailers before the TD. All had the breakaway switch wired to the 'house' battery 'from the factory. I never needed the switch but I always kept the house battery charged so it would work if needed... We bought a 2001 Casita 17SD in January. It has brakes but no breakaway switch so I plan to add one & wire it to the house battery. Since my TD (1150lbs) doesn't have brakes I've bought a Tekonsha P3 brake controller to add to my TV.
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Thanks Harvey! I think I may have asked that question before, but it is always nice to get first hand experience. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:39 am

Check e-trailer, they have brake assemblies starting around $60 (each wheel) and drums about $60 (each wheel) depending on what you want or what will fit your axle you have starting price around $240 for 7 inch and actually a little less if you go 10 inch around $100 a side (brake assembly + drum) .....

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Parts

Plus controller and brake away switch.... And also upgrading to 7 pin connector if you are now using 4 pin connector...

Question is "does your axle have flanges to bolt brakes to?"...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hennesseystealth » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:27 am

Dale M. wrote:Check e-trailer, they have brake assemblies starting around $60 (each wheel) and drums about $60 (each wheel) depending on what you want or what will fit your axle you have starting price around $240 for 7 inch and actually a little less if you go 10 inch around $100 a side (brake assembly + drum) .....

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Parts

Plus controller and brake away switch.... And also upgrading to 7 pin connector if you are now using 4 pin connector...

Question is "does your axle have flanges to bolt brakes to?"...

Dale

Yes, I did order the axle with brake flanges just in case.
Hennesseystealth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Hennesseystealth » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:15 am

The guys at etrailer posted a great Q&A page answering all my questions and the pricing seems much more reasonable.

http://www.etrailer.com/question-115774.html?fb=yes
Hennesseystealth
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets