Harbor freight trailer questions.

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Harbor freight trailer questions.

Postby ukewarrior » Sat May 23, 2015 8:55 pm

You can also register it in Maine and many folks do.
They do a 5 year term for about $70.
The whole thing is done over the mail.
There is an entire thread about this topic you can search on.
I also recently purchased the 1780 Harbor Freight trailer for a tear build.
I also own the folding version and this new one is a very nice upgrade and worth the money.
Better frame, wheels, and axle with a 2" ball.
Buy it on sale with a coupon and you will be out the door for under $300.
Can't beat that for the money.

H.A. wrote:Hard to say what your state does about small camping trailers ( I assume you are in USA ??)
But if you mentioned, go on to reinforce its chassis, drawbar, different axel, etc. etc...
Effectively its no longer a HF model 'XYZ trailer'.

Maybe the State wont care and just rubberstamp whatever paperwork it has or probably goes into a homebuilt category of some kind.

If small trailers are required a licenceplate where I live,
I would just get a licenseplate based on its HF paperwork then modify as desired. never mind what the State thinks it changing configuration
At least my State would consider it a utility trailer, not a camping trailer unless it meets standing height requirements and specific fixtures. (lower tax rate !!yay)
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby kansasbike » Sun May 24, 2015 8:35 pm

Thanks Folks, I appreciate the help and feedback. Looks like we will sell the current 4x8 HF trailer we have and will upgrade to the heavy duty version / get it tagged / and start building. This should work out just fine.
kansasbike
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KennethW » Sun May 24, 2015 11:53 pm

If you don't all ready know. Clean and grease the bearing on a HF trailer. The stuff on the bearing is not grease. To get the seal out tap the bearing race out with a hard wood stick. It will push the seal with out bending it. :thumbsup:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets