NT frame dimensions?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

NT frame dimensions?

Postby les45 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:49 pm

I know that these questions have been asked and answered many times on this forum but I cannot find them in a post anywhere through any of my searches.
On the Northern Tool 5X8 C-channel frame trailer, what is the distance from the rear of the frame to the center of the axle, and what is the distance from the ground to the bottom of the C-channel frame (with the stock 5.3x12 tires)?
les45
500 Club

Re: NT frame dimensions?

Postby les45 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:59 am

The silence is deafening. I've been gone from the forum for a while but it seems awfully quiet. Is anyone out there?
les45
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:37 am

There are days like that .......

http://www.northerntool.com/images/down ... /37552.pdf

If I had to guess axle centerline is about 8 to 10 inches aft of dead center of the frame.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:50 am

As to towing height industry standard is 17 - 19 inches at the top of the ball.

As the trailer deck is at the same plane as the ball cup I would say the deck is at 18 - 19 inches.

I do know that the Harbor freight trailers are 17 + inches ground clearance at the rear to the bottom of the frame per their manual.

If you add the 1 1/2 " for the frame member that puts us in the 19" window.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-ballmount.aspx
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby les45 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:30 am

Thanks bobhenry. I had just about come to the same conclusion on the dimensions based on my HF utility trailer. Also, I know that early summer is always slow on the forum, but I figured at least one person with a NT trailer would have seen my request and responded. I remember answering that same question many times back when I was building the Super Bee. Anyway, the NT questions are moot as it looks like I'll be doing as you suggested and buying my own C channel from a fabricator. Northern Tool does not sell the frame parts any longer. I plan to build my own frame and put a Dexter axle and suspension under it. I'm still shooting for a 5X6 or 5X7 box and the exact location of the axle will depend on the weights of all the camping gear that I plan to haul in it and their locations within the box. The main thing I am shooting for is a simple galley on the back of the box with a countertop and AC power. I hope to have a concept sketch posted soon.
Larry S.
les45
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:53 am

Here is what I was looking for.......http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=30925&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here is one of the many good ideas....

Troy's frame mounted removable tables.......

bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby oldsmokey » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm building on an NT trailer, but I'm swapping out the axle for a Dexter Torflex so I can't physically measure either of the dimensions you need. I was able to find the info on the NorthernTool site though in the Q&A section of the trailer page. According to their website, the height of the metal frame/deck to the ground /bottom of the tire is 20.2 inches. Subtracting 3-3/16" for the frame rails that puts it right at about 17" to the bottom of the frame rail.

Also according to their website, the distance from the back of the frame to the center of the axle is 42.9".
oldsmokey
Teardrop Inspector

Postby les45 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:58 pm

oldsmokey wrote:I'm building on an NT trailer, but I'm swapping out the axle for a Dexter Torflex so I can't physically measure either of the dimensions you need. I was able to find the info on the NorthernTool site though in the Q&A section of the trailer page. According to their website, the height of the metal frame/deck to the ground /bottom of the tire is 20.2 inches. Subtracting 3-3/16" for the frame rails that puts it right at about 17" to the bottom of the frame rail.

Also according to their website, the distance from the back of the frame to the center of the axle is 42.9".

Thanks oldsmokey, I'm glad to see some chatter and some NT trailers still on the forum. Like I said in my response to bobhenry, I've about given up on the NT frame since they no longer sell the frame parts separately. My plan is now shifting to buying the C-channels from a fabricator and building it myself from scratch.
les45
500 Club

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:47 am

Check out this sweet frame RJ has built a few pics down.....

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=40&p=1131709#p1131709
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets