HF -Kuffel Creek Trailer modification questions

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF -Kuffel Creek Trailer modification questions

Postby cfunni » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:58 am

I am starting my first TD Build. I purchased my 4X8 Harbor Freight trailer, the 1720b Super Duty model. I also purchased the build Plans from Kuffel Creek. I am not building that exact version, but using it as a guide. My question is this. In the Kuffel Creek plans they suggest a few trailer mods. One is to use the center cross members on the side rails , and add a piece of douglas fir as the center cross member. The other mod is to move the axil back towards the rear for proper tongue weight.
I am concerned about the cross member mod. but would love some input if anyone has any experience on this.
Thanks
Craig
Craig
Houston, Texas
cfunni
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HF -Kuffel Creek Trailer modification questions

Postby bobhenry » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:52 am

There are dozens of us on this forum who have modified the tongue of the HF trailer by lengthening it 18 - 24 inches. The rather anemic stock tongue is just too short for good highway manners and makes it a beast to back up. I was more concerned with the flex in the stock tongue causing metal fatigue. This little change essential does the same thing as moving the axle set and in my opinion was much easier. Let me look I will find a couple links for you.........

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=62579&p=1117995&hilit=tongue#p1117995

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=63146&p=1127469&hilit=tongue#p1127469
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: HF -Kuffel Creek Trailer modification questions

Postby cfunni » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:19 am

Thanks BobHenry
I think thats exactly what I am going to do. Extend the tongue as shown in the second post.
Craig
Craig
Houston, Texas
cfunni
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets