Tire damage or no problem ?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tire damage or no problem ?

Postby rbishopp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:03 am

I bought this TD used locally and had it on out second outing this past weekend. Once back at home I found the curb side tire has a brown ring around it along the edge of the tread. Our first trip was about 250 miles out and I checked everything out at hour intervals (give or take) and only noticed that the wheels are a little hot. I could hold my hand on them (rubber, steel, wherever) but seemed hotter than I thought they would be. This last trip was an hour out and hour back. Travel speeds are up 65mph.
I believe the trailer and stuff in it weigh about 900 lbs. I'd like to get it weighed.

Any thoughts on this ? I have wheel bearing repack on my winter project list but everything feels solid and it apeared this TD was used gently by the previous owners so I'm not too worried about wear and tear. This tire thing is new to me.
Our build not build >>> viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63761
rbishopp
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tire damage or no problem ?

Postby Dale M. » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:06 am

I have seen that before and it turned out to be a dirt ring caused by a combination of dirt and old tire "dressing"... If it washes off its not a issue....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby rbishopp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:05 am

Tire dressing maybe. Dirt ? Hmm... I can rub off with my thumb applying quite a bit of pressure. Did not try to scrub off. Maybe I'll see what that does.
rbishopp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DrewsBrews » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:40 am

Seems common from what I've seen. I figure it's either discoloration from flung off bearing grease mixing with dust or sun bleaching of the rubber compound they use.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:00 am

It's Tire Bloom. (no kidding). No reason to panic. :shock: :o :cry:

http://www.adamsforums.com/topic/27661- ... urn-brown/

Not the blooming I see on my 'drop journeys in Idaho. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby rbishopp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Tire bloom. I'm glad you included the link. I was thinking metric adjustable wrench when I first read that. Looks like it may be "tire bloom". My concern was that it is not really on the sidewall but on the side of the tread. I'll keep an eye on it during out next outing which is Thursday. We are getting some good use out of this TD immediately.

Thanks for the replies. And if someone else has an opinion (about this tire thing) please speak up.

:beer:

Rich....
rbishopp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:38 pm

From my cell phone looking at picture Id say tire dressing or driving on a newly brined/chloride'd dirt road. It doesn't appear to be tire bloom, 1- it's most likely not a "modern" rubber. 2 . it's not same area of tire that turns brown from "bloom". I'd think if it was bearing grease it would be around hub or at least dirty there.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby rbishopp » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Hmm. Not on any dirt roads recently. Only the curb side tire is affected. My initial thought was heat damage although it was not a particularly hot day compared to past trip which was a scorcher. I probably didn't spell that correctly.
rbishopp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Totally unrelated question. What size are they?
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:03 pm

What pressure do you have in those tires. Are they different side to side.
Where is the heat, the wheel, the hub or the rubber tire?
:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby rbishopp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:57 am

12" wheel. I had the pressure set at 70 psi which is 10 less then the max printed on the sidewall. Same for both side. I will remove the wheel covers today and check both and add air. Perhaps I should just add up to the max (80 psi). The tire in question probably came with the trailer back in 2005. The other wheel and tire were replaced after the previous owner jack knifed it into his truck backing up.
The heat I felt the one time was from the entire wheel and tire. I felt both and both were about the same level of hot. I could hold my hand on wheel and tire but they were hot not warm. I will take thermometer on next trip and compare side to side and wheel to rubber.

Thank you all for taking the time and sharing your ideas and experience.
rbishopp
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:06 am

I'm I the only one that thinks that's too much PSI?
You said 12" wheel so 4.80 or 5.30-12 ? I've had/have both and never ran that much. My chipper had 4.80-12 it weighed close to 2-ton and 40 psi to 45 psi was what chipper manufacturer recommended. I have 5.30-12 on my homemade kayak trailer and run those psi's but was told to run 30-35.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby DrewsBrews » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:35 am

If you look at the first pic it says 5.30-12 right on the tire. 8)

If it is a tire with some miles on it, then it appears to be wearing evenly so it may be an appropriate pressure. It all depends on the load weight. The pressure on the side of the tire isn't a recommendation.. its a maximum.

Personally I've had luck airing down until I just barely see the tire flex/flatten at the pavement. That way I know the whole tread width is in contact.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:39 am

I'm on a cell phone so very small pics and some will not stretch when I try. Some also when I click on them are blurry as this one is. That's why in my first response I stated From my cell phone. Don't know what I'd do if I actually had a good internet option.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby rbishopp » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:02 pm

I put the spare on. Glad I did too. A stud and nut holding the fender on had been rubbing on the back side of the tire and I was primed for a blowout. I negelcted to take a picture if this before I started cutting it down. So I cut that stud down leaving a little for the future (probably no point). You'll see in the pictures the groove and pieces missing from the tire. Also in the pictures it will look like the stud I cut off is still very close to the new tire. It's just the camera angle and there is plenty of space in there now. I will take abother look at it over the winter and see if there is something more I can do to improve that set up. The other side (left side of TD) does not have any clearance issues the tire. it doesn't come close to those fasteners.

Oringinal tire.

New tire.

I'm still curoius about the brown ring. Everyone on here feels it's nothing critical and a few local friends agree so I'm sure it is nothing critical. But still, I'm glad I swaped it for the spare because of the new finding on the back side.

As for the tire pressure. The trailer manufacture booklet says to air up to the max psi. The tire side wall says 80psi for this load rating. and a sticker on the old wheel says air to max. So I aired to the max, 80 psi for both. We'll see how it rides. I can always adjust it easily.

Thank you everyone for your input. I trust the brown thing is not a big deal but just had no experience with it. If I get a flat later this week I'll let you all know.

Rich...
rbishopp
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets