Was sold the wrong trailer, now what the hell do I do?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Was sold the wrong trailer, now what the hell do I do?

Postby Jim.M » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:04 am

Sprockett wrote:I can get all the parts, and that's EVERYTHING for $90. The only upgrade I'm going to do is get the new axle with the hubs, and the bolts. When I'm done building I'll see how it tows and make changes if needed. I plan on building as light as I can, but I just want to make sure that I don't stress the axle if we take it up the lake over dirt roads. I'll be towing this with a jeep, so stronger is always better.

I have to say the Harbor Freight was really good to work with, some parts will take some time, but they were very helpful

-Paul-

Try and order the springs from the 'super duty' trailer. They are the same size as the springs you have... but they have a different part number on them, so I assume they're a bit stiffer.

Also, your tires from the 1450GVW trailer can only hold 780 lbs or so... don't remember the exact numbers; they're on the tire though. If you are getting hubs from the 1720 super duty... you'll need to buy 5 on 4.5 wheels and tires sufficient to carry the loads you'll be placing on them.

I just went through this as my build was getting too heavy. I sold my 'heavy duty' for $150 and bought a new 'super duty'... with coupon and new spare tire, I'm out about $200 for the upgrade.
Jim.M
Teardrop Advisor

Postby klhoush » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:42 pm

Bent my HF 1195# axle on a pothole. Purchased a new axle from Northern Tool yesterday.

2000# axle part #49133
1 1/16" hubs to fit new axle part #57224
Total with shipping $150

Now the springs are the limiting factor.
Kurt
klhoush
Teardrop Builder

Postby klhoush » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:59 am

Aargh! Northern Tool has still not shipped my new axle. So much for 3 to 5 days backorder.

Now my Labor Day trip is in jeopardy.

Kurt
klhoush
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets