Was sold the wrong trailer, now what the hell do I do?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:26 pm

I bought an HF trailer from a local guy, all the paperwork said it was the superduty, I have the reciept and everything. This is our first build and trailer so thought all was good, until I noticed that the wheels had four lugs and not 5, I have already bolted on the extension, laid the sub floor and was on my way to building when this dropped.

Now I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to bend the axle, and I'm mad as hell that either he was an idiot or I was for assuming. The frame is actually super solid with my changes...

Do I just keep building and do what I can for weight?, can I change out the axle and wheels?...

I'm so mad right now I can't see straight... :x

All that progress and poof!!!

Here are some shots of what I've done so far...

https://flic.kr/s/aHskfAVte9

HELP!!!
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Re: Was sold the wrong trailer, now what the hell do I do?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:41 pm

I'm a weld it yourself guy so I can't say what you have, but I thought I caught a thread here about the new Harbor Freight trailers having five-lug rims.

Are you sure you don't have a "heavy duty" with four-lug hubs?

Sometimes I think we build these trailers to get an extra dose of stress. :frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:45 pm

I checked and the GVR is 1450, so that the 1195 capacity one...

:cry:

I just can't believe I got ripped off, DAMMIT!

if I could weld, I might be able to do something. But right now I think the build has to stop until I find out what I can and can't do about it...
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:26 pm

So here is what I have done so far, the trailer is 9.5 x 5. The external frame is 1.5 x 3 lumber, the internal supports are 1 x 3 (all milled down from 2x4's to save weight). The floor is 15/32" standard ply. The little drop section is a little overbuilt and now I'm thinking it may need to come out to conserve weight. I fabbed a piece to replace hinge so the trailer is solid, and at the moment you can jump up and down and there's very little give.

It took three of us to flip it, and it wasn't bad actually, we just needed someone to move the blocks. I can actually lift one corner if I needed too...

I was planning on using 1/8 - 1/2 (with foam) - 1/8 for the sides, the drop floor was built so that the bed could fold up into a couch, I can actually built that very minimally and still be good. I was going to use the same layered approach for the doors to save weight.

It's not too late to make changes if needed, I'm really upset that I didn't know better.

How much trouble am I in at this point?

Thanks

-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 pm

Have you thought about putting a 2,000 pound axle under it?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jack Olsen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:43 pm

Is there a HF part number on it somewhere?
Jack Olsen
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:55 pm

Ok I deleted not edited my post.
I checked I didn't know HF used less than 2000 axles for 4x8 or lager.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:07 pm

There is no part number that I can find, the front label clearly states GWR 1450, there is a vin and some other info but no part number.

The axle is a C channel, I don't know the difference between this and the 1750, but I could have a local welder box in the axle, I,m not worried about the frame, it's the axle that concerns me, and possible the tongue (which I could have welded as well). Can you find heavier axles that will fit these?, that would be ideal...

-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:14 pm

Yes do you have a Tractor supply or similar store? They usually stock them. But it could also have light duty springs.
If there are any typos I'm leaving them. Every time I've tried to edit my posts they have been deleted.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:34 pm

So I did find this on E-Trailer, I'm pretty sure it would fit with a little modification. It would also allow me to use 5 lug wheels, which gives me more options...

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Axles/Dexter/20545I-EZ-60-15.html

Unless I can fix the current axle, this seems like a good option, and it would certainly hold the weight I needed. I would just need to beef up the tongue...

-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby vincigj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:38 pm

Just went through this with a red trailer. 2leaf springs are 600#s each. 3 leaf 1000#s each. Axel for both is 1450. But 2000 axel is available. Trailer loads are limited by the lowest rated part. Get 2leafs and they are the limit. Change the springs to three then axel is limit. All is upgradable.
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:50 pm

Ok but by the time you've upgraded axle and tires/wheels and springs isn't that close to a HF HD trailer price "with coupon"?
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby ToadSprockett » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:59 pm

vincigj wrote:Just went through this with a red trailer. 2leaf springs are 600#s each. 3 leaf 1000#s each. Axel for both is 1450. But 2000 axel is available. Trailer loads are limited by the lowest rated part. Get 2leafs and they are the limit. Change the springs to three then axel is limit. All is upgradable.

There are three leaf springs on it now, the replacement axle will work (we just measured it), with a little bit of fudging. I can also put on 13" wheels. If I Need more leaf springs where do I find ones that will fit this?

Padilen... I could just buy the other one, but then I would lose all the work I put into this one, and I'd have to strip it and then try to sell it. I really hate the idea of losing all that work, and the replacement axle is actually a higher rating.

-Paul-
ToadSprockett
Teardrop Builder

Postby vincigj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Padilen, if you are replying to me, I wasnt working with price comparison. I am passing on info for an informed decision to go on or not.
vincigj
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:25 pm

vincigj wrote:Padilen, if you are replying to me, I wasnt working with price comparison. I am passing on info for an informed decision to go on or not.

No I was just stating that while it could be made stronger the cost would likely be the same as buying a different trailer. I didn't see your post until after I posted.
I've tore down and built other trailers from pieces. I've fixed broken ones spending more money than a new HF for parts. I've upgrade tires/wheels on one that cost the same as a HF trailer. My homemade kayak trailer with used axle and made from scrap yard square tubing cost more than a HF. But it also has a spare tire .
Last edited by Padilen on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets