Simple/Rimple framing

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Simple/Rimple framing

Postby fcasavant » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:31 pm

Hi!

What are the size of the spars or cross members of the Simple/Rimple design? Are they 2x3 or 2x2? I was thinking of trying this and widening the floor to 60 inches. Does anyone have any pics of framing done on this Simple/Rimple plan? Thanks... :)
fcasavant
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Simple/Rimple framing

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Spars are typically 1x2. You are thinking much too heavy. The Generic Benroy is built very similar to the Rimple.
Check out those plans here: http://www.mikenchell.com/images/GenericBenroyPlans.pdf

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Simple/Rimple framing

Postby fcasavant » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 pm

Thanks....the Benroy plans look great...but my dilemna is I am short on time and I have two kayaks I want to be able to put on top...I was looking at the weekender plans and I like the speed of building it and the concept...what if I extended my subfloor to 66 inches wide to allow more space and up over the wheels and adopted the shape and concept of the weekender into my design..was thinking of using 3/4 4x8 ply on frame and then 2x4 studs on edge 63 inches long and then 1/2 inch sanded plywood on top of on edge studs for floor
fcasavant
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets