Tandem axle too much?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tandem axle too much?

Postby Whiskeysmoke » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:03 pm

Hello All.

I realize I am breaking protocol by asking questions before introductions but I am crunched for time and forced to just jump into the conversation. I have access to a 10x6 tandem axle trailer frame. I have not even inspected it yet to see if the bearings turn but the price is too good not to consider it. To my question. Is two axles one too many for a 10ft frame? Weight is not an issue. My tow vehicle is a 3/4 ton Chevy. Thank you all in advance.

Curt
Whiskeysmoke
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tandem axle too much?

Postby MtnDon » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:48 pm

You will find a divergence of opinions on this.

I believe in only using what is needed for the needed carrying capacity. Others swear that the redundacy of two axles is the only way to go.

If we assume the gross weight will be well within the capacity of one axle, two tires, I see the lesser gross weight as a big plus. 2 tires have less rolling friction. 2 tires eliminates tire scrub on tight radius turns. 2 tires provides more usable side length for a side door if that matters at all. 4 tires means more maintenace and greater costs when replacing tires. Maintain good tire pressure, don't run tires more than 5 or 6 years nomatter how much tread is left. That's my thoughts. Haven't had a rolling tire problem in 30+ years.

Does the "great price" trailer have brakes and do you want them?
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:52 pm

Does the too good to be true trailer need a lot of work to bring it up to snuff and get it back into working condition? Many times a good deal isn't the best way to start if you have a particular build style in mind. It might be better to start with something that more closely matches your end goal (likely).

Not saying there isn't a worthy deal out there, just saying that "my truck will pull it" isn't the best reason to compromise your intended purpose.

It depends on what you want to end up with.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Whiskeysmoke » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks for the replies. I am looking at a standy, possibly a pop-up. I already have a HF 4x8 so that was my original planned starter frame. I have seen all(most) of the builds here that used the HF base and most are just not quite big enough for my plans. Interior width is my biggest concern as I want to place the bed crosswise and not bang my head against the walls. I am seriously intrigued by the foamies and will most likely go that route if I stay with the HF. The tandem frame opens up the possibility of wood construction and solves my width issues. Downside has already been stated in the two previous replies. The seller has not yet replied to my questions regarding age, last time on the road, or WILL IT ROLL?!? Thanks again for helping the new guy.

Curt
Attachments
52A4C6A2-F3D5-1A60-4C9F32CF43F6B2ED.jpg
Too much work?
52A4C6A2-F3D5-1A60-4C9F32CF43F6B2ED.jpg (37.59 KiB) Viewed 793 times
Whiskeysmoke
Teardrop Inspector

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:27 am

Welcome aboard, Curt. :shake hands:

That looks like it could be a fine chassis for a stand-up once cleaned & painted. Two suggestions that in the end might save work & expense;

Replace the axles & springs with a single bolt on torsion axle with the correct load rating and brakes. There are 'stickies' above in this forum that explain how to do it.

And wait to order the axle until your trailer is built to the point where you can determine weight & balance.

Fred
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 pm

Here was my thoughts on a previous thread........

http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63921&p=1138140#p1138140
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Whiskeysmoke » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:46 pm

Well.... For $200 I couldn't pass it up. I pick it up tomorrow and begin my planning all over again. Heck, if it doesn't work out as a camper frame I will build a barbecue trailer and start competing.
Whiskeysmoke
Teardrop Inspector

Postby DrewsBrews » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:01 am

5x tires will probably triple the trailer cost.
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby webpager » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:25 am

I don't know if it is everywhere but I believe, at least in California, that a dual axle trailer requires it's own brakes. I would wholeheartedly agree with what Alaska teardrop said.
webpager
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dale M. » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:55 am

webpager wrote:I don't know if it is everywhere but I believe, at least in California, that a dual axle trailer requires it's own brakes. I would wholeheartedly agree with what Alaska teardrop said.

In Calif its not axle count count.... IT's anything over 1500 pounds....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby mjewell5 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:24 pm

To me, a tandem axle sort of defeats the definition of a teardrop, which is a small camper capable of being pulled around by a small car. If you want to use the tandem, why not build a bigger, more conventional camper that will give you everything you want. That way you could get the height and width you want, and not bump your head in it.
mjewell5
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets