Electric verses Non-electirc Brakes

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Electric verses Non-electirc Brakes

Postby RunnerDuck » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:35 pm

I am in the design phase of my teardrop which will be 5' X 10' and I estimate it could weigh as much as 2,000#.

I'm going to use a torsion axle but curious as to whether I need electric brakes or not.

I've searched much of this forum and have read a lot about electric brakes but don't know if they are right for me or not.

I plan to pull my TD with my F250, 3/4 ton with a Triton V-10. It is equipped with a break controller that I use on my fifth wheel.

I'm leaning towards breaks but could be talked out of it for the right reasons.

Thanks,

KennyB
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Re: Electric verses Non-electirc Brakes

Postby lrrowe » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:46 pm

I have electric brakes on a 2000 lb (est) CT, single axle, dexter Torsion suspension towed with a F150 and from my experience so far, there is no way you could talk me out of them. Just in my sharp inclined driveway alone, they are well woth it when I back the trailer down it.
Last edited by lrrowe on Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby MtnDon » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:36 pm

FWIW, brakes are always a good idea. Electric brakes. Get self adjusting brakes not the manual adjustment unless you like jacking up a wheel, crawling under, having dirt fall in your face, and manually turn the star wheels.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby halfdome, Danny » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:38 pm

If I remember correctly when ordering a Dexter torsion axle from Six Robblees' it's an additional $80 for electric brakes, a no brainer for me.
I really enjoy the feel of the trailer brakes working in tandem with the tow vehicle.
I'm sure they help save the extra wear on the tow vehicles brakes and seems a lot safer than without.
Check out the state weight limits that are allowed without brakes, as I think your projected total weight of 2,000 lbs. is fast approaching the threshold.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby RunnerDuck » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:15 pm

Thank you all, Electric Brakes it is :D

KennyB
RunnerDuck
Teardrop Master

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:29 pm

:thumbsup:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby Dale M. » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:51 am

Not only are brakes a good idea, in some states like CALIF a trailer weight of #1500 or more requires brakes by law.... Check you states DMV codes....

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby DrewsBrews » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Would you feel safe with 2000lb in the bed of the truck? Not much difference as far as load on the vehicle's brakes goes. That's a pretty beefy truck.

If it's cheap/easy enough to do from the start... better than wishing you did and trying to retrofit once it's all together. Might be a good selling point too once it's time for the next build ;)
DrewsBrews
Donating Member

Postby ukewarrior » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:19 pm

I have had all three types of trailer brakes:
1. none
2. surge
3. electric

I too agree that for a 2K lb trailer that brakes are a must. You will really like the fact that your stopping distance won't be much different than if you weren't towing. Definitely not the case if you have no brakes.

What I don't understand is why surge brakes don't seem to be offered anymore. I found them very effective and much less hassle than electric brakes.
ukewarrior
Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:36 pm

DrewsBrews wrote:If it's cheap/easy enough to do from the start... better than wishing you did and trying to retrofit once it's all together. Might be a good selling point too once it's time for the next build ;)

It cost me about $400 to retrofit a Dexter Torsion axle to electric brakes plus my labor. :frightened:
Now I always order with brakes.
:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets