Tractor Supply Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Jim Marshall » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:41 pm

Thanks Larry, I really appreciate that. I had not checked out TSC to see if they would custom make a trailer that size.
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby kirtsjc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:02 pm

toypusher wrote:The TSC here in York told me that I could not order a custom size trailer through them. Guess I will have to go back and ask again!

When you go back, get edition 48 of the TSC Blue book, turn to page 251, point out the "Carry-On Trailer" logo where it says "can custom build a trailer for your needs" and MAKE them order what you want...

You must have gotten a clerk with a bad and/or lazy attitude that particular day...

John Kirts
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:16 pm

Thanks, John! Will do!
toypusher
Site Admin

Cost to Modify

Postby Guy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:29 pm

Does anyone have any info on the cost to modify the Carry-on Trailers?
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Cost to Modify

Postby kirtsjc » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:45 pm

Guy wrote:Does anyone have any info on the cost to modify the Carry-on Trailers?

TSC 48th edition "Blue Book" catalog price, rear ramp, side rails, and expanded mesh floor is $649.98.

larryl mentioned a 5x8 no floor in the mid $400. I will be posting more on my experience and prices once I have time to contact Carry-on for specs and TSC price code...

John
kirtsjc
Silver Donating Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:21 am

I went to TSC yesterday and saw the 4X8 trailer they had for $269.00 and it looked well built. I asked the cost to modify the 4X8 to a 5X7 and they quoted me a cost of $400.00 plus $75.00 to have it delivered to the store. This is just a very basic trailer frame without a floor, sides or what ever. The saleman said the delivery time would be 6 weeks. I think I will just buy the 4X8 and modify it myself.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:29 pm

I bought a trailer today but it wasn't the TSC. I went with the HF one rated 1450 #. With discount coupon and the on line sale, the trailer cost me $172.00. I am one happy camper now that I can get started on our tear. I am making the tear 5 feet wide and I think I have found a way to make the 4 foot wide trailer work. My wheels will be on the outside not under the trailer. I at first was thinking about cutting the trailer down the middle and splicing it but I don't think I will have to now. I will have to have a frame built to mount the axle to, and have the axle cut and lengthened, but it is better than cutting the trailer in half. We are on our way to building now. :worship:

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

TSC Design

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:23 am

The TSE trailers I looked at were made with a 'L' shaped channel turned up so you could drop in a wooden floor. Is this a problem, catching water and trapping it under your teardrop floor? :thinking: The HF trailers using 'C' channel all have the teardrop floor resting on the top flat surface.
Any thoughts on how to prevent water damage?
Wes

Postby Jim Marshall » Sat Jan 21, 2006 11:32 am

Airdog, I don't think there would be a problem sealing the wood using the angle iron. You could run a bead of silicone in the angle before you laid the floor in and then when you seal the whole bottom you could be sure to put a lot of sealant around where the angle iron is. As for the outside, I am going to let my sides cover the trailer frame and that would stop any water if you are using an angle iron frame.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby larryl » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:13 pm

Airdog:

I ripped pressure treated 2X4 down to 1 7/8", the height of the "L" channels. Used construction adhesive and drilled and bolted the PT material to the channel.

I was able to set the body right on the frame by using the same bolts that held on the 1 7/8" material/

Then I used flat 1/16" X 2" aluminum and fastened to the sides. It covered the space between frame and sides. Ran a bead of caulking under the trim before installing.

I designed the TD so the body could be removed from the trailer easily if necessary. Though I dealt I ever will.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby wflyduties » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:04 pm

is it a short term sale???? I have not been able to find it on TSC site. Or for that matter I cannot get the trailer that I know thy have to even come up on their site. I only live 28 miles from the one in Mason City I can go pick it up maybe Thursday!!!!
Hello
Carla

Kens wrote:Just went to tractor supply last week and bought one of those trailers myself. I read on a post somewhere on here that they were on sale. TS was ready to charge me 279 but looked it up on their computer it came up at 251 :) When leaving the store they said I should go to their notary for plates. I went to mine close to home. :cry: mistake! He would not do it he said they forgot all kinds of info. I went back to the store found out directions to their guy :thumbsup: no problem 10 minutes later plate in hand.
Have moved to Arkansas. Have some 7-8 acres of land with pond and creek, spring fed, and looking for ideas what to use it for. Campgroung? Raising animals? Something. Any ideas? Also find me on hotmail.com
wflyduties
Teardrop Inspector

Re: TSC Design

Postby len19070 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:36 am

Airdog320 wrote:The TSE trailers I looked at were made with a 'L' shaped channel turned up so you could drop in a wooden floor. Is this a problem, catching water and trapping it under your teardrop floor? :thinking: The HF trailers using 'C' channel all have the teardrop floor resting on the top flat surface.
Any thoughts on how to prevent water damage?
Wes

Wes
I'm just completing a trailer on a TS frame. What I did for the water getting trapped problem was wrap the outside corners with brake metal making it wider than the "L" on the bottom. My metal on the side goes over this brake metal. This makes all the areas that may come in contact with water covered by a leak proof material..aluminum.

When I bolted the body to the frame (through a big wad of silicone) I elevated it off of the frame with SS washers. When water gets in there it just flows through and goes out the bottom. I also shimmed up the cross member on the frame with some old cedar so that the body sets on them.
This was the only bad part I found with the TS frame. Its not a 4' wide frame, its a 49" frame.

Happy Trails

Len

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/len19070/ ... /my_photos

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/len19070/ ... /my_photos
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby hammer & tongs » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:41 am

That is the trailer I built my TD on last summer...and I am very pleased with it !
From literature and all I can find out, it is built in either Texas or Georgia.
The real beauty is that the frame doesn't have to be assembled..since it is welded together at the factory...on a jig, so you can be reasonably sure it is straight.
I have put about 4000 miles on my TD and the trailer has not disappointed me in the least...

The floor and sides are actually fitted tightly into the "L" channel..then painted/calked/painted...and it has worked very well, go to my profile/gallery..
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:36 am

Now there's a theme for you!!! :ok:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby hammer & tongs » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks Mike:

The art work was done by my #2 (age) grandson..he's a good hand at artsy stuff.
The other side has my avatar near the door..
This picture was taken at the Marines' housing area where we were visiting with my #1 grandson last fall. It was our first lengthy trip (about 850 miles each way).
My grandson is a "Special Ops" Marine, now in the Sunni Triangle...yet the wife and I have been down there since he deployed..a Christmas visit with his young bride of less than a year..
The trailer pulled so well..the only danger was forgetting it was back there...and my little 4cyl 5 speed Ranger only dropped from about 27 to 25 mpg..
That is the tractor supply trailer and you can see how it was painted and treated then installed in the frame and painted/calked/painted..

I'm considering selling it, since now "bitten", I am dreaming of a TD for hunting camp. It will be closer to a grasshopper design and finished in camo..
It will include special cabinets for guns, equip etc...

Enjoy those teardrops.....Ironglow
Last edited by hammer & tongs on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets