BigTex or Northern Tool 5x8

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

BigTex or Northern Tool 5x8

Postby sned » Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:37 am

Time to order a 5x8 trailer so I can start my build. Checking out local trailer shops I can get a BigTex 30SA for ~920 +tax and reg Northern tool runs 529 +tax and reg but have heard horror stories getting them delivered to your house (no NT in CA).

The big question is are the BigTex trailers worth the extra 400 dollars? If I went with the BigTex would the suspension be to stiff for the 900 - 1100lb TD?
sned
Teardrop Builder

Re: BigTex or Northern Tool 5x8

Postby tony.latham » Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:32 pm

sned wrote:Time to order a 5x8 trailer so I can start my build. Checking out local trailer shops I can get a BigTex 30SA for ~920 +tax and reg Northern tool runs 529 +tax and reg but have heard horror stories getting them delivered to your house (no NT in CA).

The big question is are the BigTex trailers worth the extra 400 dollars? If I went with the BigTex would the suspension be to stiff for the 900 - 1100lb TD?

It looks to me that you'd have to cut the rail off the BigTex and remove the floor? And yes, I think you'd have to do something with that 3500# axle. Some say you can remove a spring but I'm a torsion axle guy so don't know. Give NT a call and ask them if they've had problems shipping to CA.

You might see if there's a fabricator (welder) around that would crank out a trailer chassis. And you could ask for a torsion axle too.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets