HF axle/dropped floor questions

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF axle/dropped floor questions

Postby Talia62 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:47 pm

Hey all, I have been picking through threads here for a while trying to find the answers I need, and just can't seem to turn them up. On the HF trailer with the 12" wheels, how high is the top edge of the frame if the axle is mounted above the springs, and what's the max dropped floor depth possible with that configuration? The HF near me has the trailer hanging up on the wall where I can't measure it.
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Re: HF axle/dropped floor questions

Postby KennethW » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:23 pm

Made a light TD and removed the center leaf on a super duty hf trailer. To the top on the frame is 16". I used 6" metal studs for my 4x2 drop with 1/2" plywood setting on the inside edge on the studs and screwed down. It give a box 8" deep from the top of the frame and about 8" ground clearance. I turned the tongue mounting angle iron around to make more room and also move the trailer floor beams to put the drop in the ideal place. I also did a drop in the galley. to make more room under the counter. I hope this is fairly clear.
Have fun with your build. :thumbsup:
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: HF axle/dropped floor questions

Postby Talia62 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:55 am

Thank you, that's what I needed to know!
Talia62
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets