Trailer without a frame...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Jiminsav » Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:34 pm

ooooh..i think i told everyone about murfeesboro Tn..it's home to the traveling Irish..they steal from people..buyer beware
Jim in Savannah
If you can read this bumper sticker, my camper fell off.
Jiminsav
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:46 pm

Yes, I'm still interested in the plans as well. Will try to find an email on his ebay site....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby BufordT » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:33 am

In 1939 a trailer was made out of a wood frame. Honeymoon House Trailer You can order the plans http://www.teardrops.net/plans01.html

Remember this was built in 1939 with mostly dirt roads all around.

Building light is like trying to change someones mind on politics. Ain't going to happen. People are set in there ways and that's that. No matter what the facts or what proof you have. They are going to see it there way.

Bufordt :twisted:
"RUSH" The Man, The Legend, The Way Of Life.
BufordT
2nd Teardrop Club

Postby Juneaudave » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:06 pm

I haven't weighed in...but lots and lots of structural applications are built with wood, and they are built to flex. There is no reason they should be suseptable to rot with modern sealants and localized stresses can be overcome with proper fastening, I like the concept!

Think about it, we're still building signature bridges on our highways that hold thousands of cars per day, year after year, out of wood. We build boats out of wood, for pete's sake, we build chairs out of wood (and they must take a beating). Just my two cents!!
Juneaudave
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby BobR » Sat Jan 07, 2006 5:36 am

Wood has been around a long time. Here is another example of a wood frame trailer from 1946...carefully crafted from hardwood I believe that a wood frame is sufficient for any teardrop (on-road versions).

Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby Kevin A » Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:15 pm

Here's another example of what some might consider the predecessor of the teardrop, it was constructed of mostly wood and survived stresses that most teardrops would never be exposed to. http://www.endoftheoregontrail.org/wagons.html
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets