Brakes; Disc or Drum?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Brakes; Disc or Drum?

Postby dales133 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:29 am

I went with mechanical brakes because wireless controllers are illegal here and i wanted to be able to tow it with anything.
Discs are better for submerging and better in general....whatever floats your boat
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Dale M. » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:13 pm

MtnDon wrote:I would stick with our traditional electric drum brakes with a good controller and spend whatever is necessary to make them self adjusting.

E-Trailer has self adjusting electrics... For example...

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Brakes/ ... 3-468.html

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Esteban » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:41 pm

MtnDon wrote:I would stick with our traditional electric drum brakes with a good controller and spend whatever is necessary to make them self adjusting.

Are there any 7" self-adjusting electric drum brakes available?

My Dexter #9 torsion axle has 7" electric brakes that are not self-adjusting. I would prefer the added safety of 7" self-adjusting brakes if they were available. Unfortunately I cannot add 10" self-adjusting brakes to a Dexter #9 axle.

My tow vehicle is a 2015 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium which is rated for towing up to 1000 lbs. without trailer brakes and up to 1500 lbs with trailer brakes. I added a hard wired brake controller, a 7-way coupler and 7-way wiring to the Forester. My goal is for my empty 5' x 10' teardrop to weigh no more than 1200lbs. Once the teardrop is loaded with camping gear, clothing, food, drink, cooking utensils, etc. it'll be close to 1500 lbs.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:48 pm

Another vote for the electric drums.

:beer:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Esteban » Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:24 pm

I've never found any 7" self-adjusting electric brakes. They need to need to manually adjusted.

10" electric brakes may be self-adjusting. etrailer.com sells a Dexter Axle 10" Nev-R-Adjust Electric Brake Assembly for 3.5K Axles. That requires a heavier duty 3.5K axle too.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets