HF folding trailers: What's the Difference between HD & SD?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Ned B » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:14 pm

OK gang,
I'm looking to build an ultra-light weight mostly sleeper (not quite a sleeper only, but close, minimal cabinetry) Foamie. My TVs are both hybrids which means of course no tow rating or minimal 1000 lbs or less. My goal is to come in under 500lbs for a 4x8 foamie.
Looking at the HF website there are several versions of the 4x8 folding trailer and I've narrowed down my purchase to either the Heavy Duty 1195 rated or the 1790 lb rated Super Duty.

OK trailer gurus, other than price, what the heck is the difference between these two? They Look to be the same frame, wheels, axles... is the spring pack different? Both are 'overkill' for my needs, but I'm looking to run some serious miles with the trailer once done. I know about repacking the bearings etc... That's just basic maintenance for having the trailer and using it. I can get the 1195 this weekend for $250, I haven't checked at the local stores yet, but if I have to I'll order one online.
Thanks for checking
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:25 am

And evidently it is the axle; the super Duty gets a tube axle vs a c-channel one. I don't need it for weight , so I'm going to stick with the 'heavy duty' version.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: HF folding trailers: What's the Difference between HD &

Postby daveesl77 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:44 am

It is the axle and the wheels. Essentially everything else is the same. Wheels are 5 lug vs 4. Remember to completely remove the clear goop that is in the wheel bearings, as it is NOT bearing grease and then repack the bearings.

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

Re: HF folding trailers: What's the Difference between HD &

Postby Ned B » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:36 pm

Thanks Dave, for my application the lighter duty one will work. I'll absolutely repack the bearings. technically I won't, my son the mechanic will do that for me.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets