Modifying a cargo trailer tongue

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Modifying a cargo trailer tongue

Postby mikesova » Fri May 20, 2016 9:37 am

For the frame building experts out there, I was wondering how feasible it would be to extend the tongue on my 5x8 cargo conversion? Basically I would like to add a motorcycle platform to the tongue and it just isn't long enough. Is that doable, or would it throw off the balance of the trailer in relation to the axle placement?

Going for something like this:

Here's my trailer: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=65196
mikesova
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Modifying a cargo trailer tongue

Postby yrock87 » Sat May 21, 2016 11:04 pm

http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear81.htm

Angib has some great calculators for both trailer weight loading that will tell you how tonge weight that bike may add. And a tonge strength page so you can determine the strength materials and build type for your new extended tonge. O
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby Socal Tom » Sun May 22, 2016 7:43 pm

Extending the tongue can be tricky. It should be done by someone who k nowns what they are doing. If done wrong the tongue will break. It will increase the tongue weight, so make sure the tow vehicle can handle the extra weight.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Tapatalk
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby RonS » Thu May 26, 2016 8:58 pm

Socal Tom wrote:Extending the tongue can be tricky. It should be done by someone who k nowns what they are doing.

Agreed. You certainly don't want to cut any corners here.
Socal Tom wrote:If done wrong the tongue will break. It will increase the tongue weight, so make sure the tow vehicle can handle the extra weight.

Assuming the axle isn't clear at the rear of the trailer, getting some weight behind the axle should help to offset the increase. Again, proper planning is key.
Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?
RonS
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets