trailer frame sizing

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

trailer frame sizing

Postby Frozen001 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:16 am

OK so my plans are evolving on what type/size of trailer I want to build. I am wondering if there are some guidelines on the sizing of the steel frame members as it relates to sizing. I have evolved to wanting to build something similar to s Serro Scotty Sportsman, so I am going to have the frame build by a local welder.
Frozen001
Teardrop Inspector

Re: trailer frame sizing

Postby Camp4Life » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:29 pm

Frozen001 wrote:OK so my plans are evolving on what type/size of trailer I want to build. I am wondering if there are some guidelines on the sizing of the steel frame members as it relates to sizing. I have evolved to wanting to build something similar to s Serro Scotty Sportsman, so I am going to have the frame build by a local welder.

You'll have to estimate how much it's going to weigh with everything in it (gear, food, water etc) and then overestimate a bit. It's also important to know where the center of mass will be for axle placement. Will it be heavier in the front end, the rear, or well balanced? If the welder is experienced in building trailers, he should have a good idea how to build it. :thumbsup:
Camp4Life
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets