TSC Carry-On Trailer Sale

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

TSC Carry-On Trailer Sale

Postby gmcconnell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:48 am

I've been planning my build over and over and over again and I don't know what the final product is going to ultimately be but I think I'm starting to zero in on my trailer. What are the general thoughts about this one?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-mesh-floor-utility-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-2-000-gvwr

I like that it's a welded, 2K axle, with 13" tires (instead of 12"). I would have to get the gate, mesh, and side rails off somehow but I bet I could figure that out. Plus it's on sale for $600 (or is it one of those items that's always on sale?).

I don't like the fact that I'm paying for all the stuff I would be removing. Is there an alternative?

I also don't love the tongue (is that the right term?) is a straight piece instead of triangular. I can live with it I guess but I figure I will want to put an A/C or battery or propane up there and I don't feel like this allows for it. I can't weld, nor do I have the tools. I guess a friend might help me out on this but are there any non-welding options for this?

My first post so if I've done something wrong I apologize! Just happy to be here!
gmcconnell
Teardrop Inspector

Re: TSC Carry-On Trailer Sale

Postby gmcconnell » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:54 am

Also, can the bed be extended a couple inches by cutting into the wheel fenders? I'd like to fit a queen size bed in there with 3/4" ply walls so I would need ~62".

Also, what are the mandatory add-ons with a trailer purchase? Spare tire, stabilizer jacks (are 2x good?), rolling tongue jack (is that what it's called?). Anything else?

Also (I'll try not to throw "one more thing" after this, lol), If I buy this from TSC I should be able to go down to PA DOT and just pay to title it, right? I've glanced a couple PA people who have horror stories but is this the way to circumvent those frustrations?

Thanks again!
gmcconnell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:40 am

Do you know someone that can weld well? Ask them if they'd help you out, or find a person/shop who does welding. After I had my store bought trailer tongue modified, plus paying for the trailer, my friend said he could have built it better and cheaper than the $700 I have into it.
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:13 am

Instead of buying a trailer that needs to be highly modified, I'd draw up your basic needs and see what a welder would charge to zap-up a custom trailer. You could save a lot of his costs by painting and wiring it yourself. (And choosing and buying rims and much better tires – heck have him throw on a torsion axle while you're at it.)

I'd like to fit a queen size bed in there with 3/4" ply walls so I would need ~62".

A queen-sized foam mattress fits easily inside our 58" interior built on sandwiched walls.

We swear by our 7" foam mattress (5" + 2" memory topper) inside our 5' wide. It's every bit as comfortable as our bed and beats motel mattresses hands down. Building a teardrop wider than 60" is going to create challenges (that are solvable).

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:14 pm

Does the 2" topper make the 6 inch mattress useable? I'm po'd I didn't get the 8 inch right now! Used the 6 once, woke up sore as heck!
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:36 pm

dmdc411 wrote:Does the 2" topper make the 6 inch mattress useable? I'm po'd I didn't get the 8 inch right now! Used the 6 once, woke up sore as heck!

Useable? It's like sleeping in our bed at home... and we don't hold back on mattresses.

We purchased it online from the Foam Factory. I don't recall the density. They now make em so the topper is bonded to the bottom foam.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby gmcconnell » Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:15 am

That's great to know that you can fit that 60" mattress in a 58" ID. It makes everything else a lot easier to figure out. I guess the reason I've been holding off on calling a welder is the axle and spring and tire issue. I guess I can just get the carry-on model and simplify it but I don't really know what all parts to get. Where do you recommend finding a good welder? Craigslist? Also; how do you make it road legal at that point? I've read it's a real pain in PA.

Thanks for the replies!

Also; looks like the TSC is on sale until Oct 23 so I have some time to save that $100 if I decide I want to go that route.
gmcconnell
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Kergan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:03 am

I bought one about 2 weeks ago, I am very satisfied with it. The local welders quoted me $900 for a bare frame custom equivalent with a slightly longer tongue. The title made getting a tag at FL DOT effortless.
Your material costs are going to include BEER. Don't underestimate the beer costs or the work slows down.
Kergan
Teardrop Inspector

Postby TimC » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:37 am

gmcconnell wrote:I've been planning my build over and over and over again and I don't know what the final product is going to ultimately be but I think I'm starting to zero in on my trailer. What are the general thoughts about this one?

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/carry-on-trailer-mesh-floor-utility-trailer-5-ft-x-8-ft-2-000-gvwr

I like that it's a welded, 2K axle, with 13" tires (instead of 12"). I would have to get the gate, mesh, and side rails off somehow but I bet I could figure that out. Plus it's on sale for $600 (or is it one of those items that's always on sale?).

I don't like the fact that I'm paying for all the stuff I would be removing. Is there an alternative?

I also don't love the tongue (is that the right term?) is a straight piece instead of triangular. I can live with it I guess but I figure I will want to put an A/C or battery or propane up there and I don't feel like this allows for it. I can't weld, nor do I have the tools. I guess a friend might help me out on this but are there any non-welding options for this?

My custom built trailer on TD #1 was $1400. I've been told I got a bargain considering all the labor involved. But, I will never do that again for a teardrop. The TSC 5x8 is a nice solid trailer. Here are some reasons I went with the N. Tool Ironton 5x8. A frame tongue, lighter than the TSC, easy to assemble, easy to move the axle farther back (40% from the rear of frame), no cutting of sides and tailgate hinges. Cost was basically the same as a TSC after spending $150 on wheel upgrades to 13", but, I'm not a metal worker and didn't want modifications to be complicated. Drilling six holes in the frame to move the axle was no sweat. TSC is not a bad choice if you have basic metal working skills though. I was not afraid of the bolt together frame on the NT trailer.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Kergan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:54 am

... The TSC 5x8 is a nice solid trailer. Here are some reasons I went with the N. Tool Ironton 5x8. A frame tongue, lighter than the TSC, easy to assemble, easy to move the axle farther back (40% from the rear of frame)....

That makes the NT quite attractive for a lot of reasons. I will point out that the TSC has the axle moved back 12" from center. When the tailgate/ramp is removed it should have a decent tongue weight, currently it rattles as expected when empty.

I find that the straight tongue (2x3") is sturdy and well attached and performed well loaded with 1000 lbs and a large man jumping up and down on the tongue. I would prefer a longer 'A' tongue but I will live with it as is.
I plan to make a wedge frame of wood and bolt it on. It will provide a tiny amount of structural bracing but mainly be a storage platform. I also considered bolting 2 pieces of angle iron on as a cheesy patch job. It would help some, probably somewhat better than the wood.
Your material costs are going to include BEER. Don't underestimate the beer costs or the work slows down.
Kergan
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets