3500 lbs hubs on a 2200 lbs axle?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

3500 lbs hubs on a 2200 lbs axle?

Postby Thelgord » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:58 pm

I am considering this axle: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200649000

Its low cost, and the size I am looking for. However, I also want the trailer to use the same wheels and tires as my Toyota Tacoma, witch is 6x5.5" lug pattern, and I want brakes. The only hubs I can find that meet those requirements are for 35000 lbs axles. Will this work? Or am I going to have to use a heavier axle? Thanks :)
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Re: 3500 lbs hubs on a 2200 lbs axle?

Postby Padilen » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:07 pm

I've always wanted matching wheels. But never was able to.
When I had my Jeep it wasn't double. The center hole in rims would not fit the axle hubs. Another option is wheel spacers, which after seeing prices I didn't proceed with matching wheels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Thelgord » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:55 pm

Didn't even think about that, suppose I should measure that in the morning.
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:05 am

I had to double check the definition
But cars and trucks are called hub centric. The wheels just fit, over the hubs. The hubs in different vehicles are different so your might.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby arbakken » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:02 am

Use a 3500 lb axle on 2200 lb springs. If you're running big taco tires, the bearings will probably appreciate being a little heavier duty. Definitely measure the bores. If the trailer bore is smaller (which it should be) you can get hub centric rings
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:26 pm

I'm out in my pole barn and got to thinking. Been a few years since I bought it, and a few health issues.
But I remembered
My stock aluminum Jeep rims were the correct bolt pattern. But center hole in rims was to small for trailer axle hub. Jeep is gone and stock rims were on it. But I have my Dodge Nitro steel rims. That I used in the winter. So any way I pulled them out and then I realized the other issue!
Trailer rims are narrow compared to most SUV/ pickup rims.
So spring perch is in the wrong spot.
Just another thing to think about.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Andrew Herrick » Mon Oct 03, 2016 5:37 pm

Do you have a trailer parts catalog? I remember scouring the Internet trying to find answers for my trailer questions. Then I snagged a catalog from Redneck Trailer parts, and it answers most of my questions!

So I'm no expert ... but my catalog tells me that 2,200-lb axles can be ordered with 6.5" hubs with a 5x4.5 bolt pattern. I'm not seeing a 6 on 5 1/2" bolt pattern until, like you said, the 3,500-lb axles.

This isn't to say it won't work. I'm just sharing my catalog info in case you don't have one. If a more experienced person disagrees with me, listen to them :p
A few of my builds:

ImageImageImageImage

SEE MORE AT: boondockcampers.com
Andrew Herrick
The 300 Club

Postby Thelgord » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:03 am

Padilen wrote:I'm out in my pole barn and got to thinking. Been a few years since I bought it, and a few health issues.
But I remembered
My stock aluminum Jeep rims were the correct bolt pattern. But center hole in rims was to small for trailer axle hub. Jeep is gone and stock rims were on it. But I have my Dodge Nitro steel rims. That I used in the winter. So any way I pulled them out and then I realized the other issue!

Well phoey ... LOL
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:15 am

Thelgord wrote:
Padilen wrote:I'm out in my pole barn and got to thinking. Been a few years since I bought it, and a few health issues.
But I remembered

Well phoey ... LOL

I wasn't trying to shut you down. Just giving you info that may or may not be useful. It all depends on what axle and hubs and rims. And how much time, money and or skill you have. It just wasn't affordable for me.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:42 am

All-Season Off-Road Tiny Trailer

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Thelgord » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Padilen wrote:
Thelgord wrote:
But I remembered

Well phoey ... LOL

I wasn't trying to shut you down. Just giving you info that may or may not be useful. It all depends on what axle and hubs and rims. And how much time, money and or skill you have. It just wasn't affordable for me.

Oh I know. Just more math to do in order to get what I want. Ideally I want to use the same wheels and tires as the tow rig, and have the same track. Really though I am glad you brought this up. I may have to adjust my planed frame width, at least where the axle sits, in order to do this. It just means I may have to relocate some of other stuff or make adjustments to my cabin design.

After looking around, Timbren offers a spindle that is extended for road tires, but I was really hoping I wouldn't have to spend that much on an axle. I may have to just order one with a custom width and spring hanger locations. To the interwebs! LOL!
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby Thelgord » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Padilen wrote:All-Season Off-Road Tiny Trailer

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

Thanks for the link! But really that seems really low to the ground (camera angles maybe?) for being "off-road" with a very low departure angle.
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby Thelgord » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:33 pm

Just a thought, wouldn't brake hubs push the wheel out more than spindle hubs? Or would the change be insignificant?
Thelgord
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:03 pm

I'm not sure. I have to pull a wheel of my CTC to test a smaller wheel so I'll check. I'm trying to see if I can get it back in my pole barn after the axle flip.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:07 pm

This looks like it does. But I'll check my CTC too

Padilen
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets