Determining if a torsion axle is shot?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Determining if a torsion axle is shot?

Postby Aaron Coffee » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:11 am

How do I determine if a torsion axle is shot? I converted a 1969 Apache Mesa popup camper to haul soap box derby cars, and am getting quite a bit of bounce. With a person jumping in the trailer there appears to be very little movement in the torsion arm itself. I plan on replacing the original torsion axle with a new dexter axle, that is more appropriately rated for the load I will be hauling. Which brings up another question. How much over the weight of the trailer and the load should I get for an axle. I haven't weighed the trailer yet.
Thanks
Aaron
If I could shut my brain off, I could save myself alot of time, money and effort.
Aaron Coffee
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Determining if a torsion axle is shot?

Postby tony.latham » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:19 am

Aaron Coffee wrote:How do I determine if a torsion axle is shot? I converted a 1969 Apache Mesa popup camper to haul soap box derby cars, and am getting quite a bit of bounce. With a person jumping in the trailer there appears to be very little movement in the torsion arm itself. I plan on replacing the original torsion axle with a new dexter axle, that is more appropriately rated for the load I will be hauling. Which brings up another question. How much over the weight of the trailer and the load should I get for an axle. I haven't weighed the trailer yet.
Thanks
Aaron

Can't answer your first question. But when you call Dexter to order your axle, they will ask you what your trailer weighs (loaded for combat and ready to head for the hills).

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets