Lightweight New Cub frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Lightweight New Cub frame

Postby saywhatthat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:39 pm

The trailer I am building at this time will be no more than 800lb loaded . I have look at the Lightweight New Cub frame. Can I bolt the 2x2 pull-bar on to the axle. Thinking of welding tab on to the 2-by-2. Then run four bolts through the axle. Has any one perform this?
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Re: Lightweight New Cub frame

Postby KCStudly » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:17 am

I'm assuming that you will be using a torsion axle and that the portion of the axle you intend to weld to is sprung (i.e. affixed to and moves with the chassis). The biggest concern is heat damage to the torsion rubber inserts inside of the axle tube. If possible, I would check with the axle OEM and confirm whether it is okay to weld at this location (I'm going to guess no, as most times they discourage welding to them at all and are very specific as to where and how welding is to be done if allowed).

If you are using the Timbren style axle stubs (not a good choice for an ultra light, IMO), then the connecting tube (or strut xmbr) that you weld between your axle mounting pads will be inert (so to speak), one with the trailer frame and it would be okay to weld to that. If that were the case you could just weld the draw bar directly to the xmbr and be done with it, no bolts required.

It goes without saying (but I will say it anyway) that you don't want to weld or bolt the draw bar to the tube of a leaf sprung axle as this would obviously impede articulation and would transfer a bunch of road shock to the TV.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby saywhatthat » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:47 pm

Thank you KC for the fast response . I will be using a torsion axle . Where I received the axle inform me no welding. So thinking .Have a welding shop take a two-by -two and install some tabs to the side then drill for four bolts. Then USE #8 bolt to the through the axle .
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:07 pm

It depends on the manufacturer. At least when torsion axles first came on the market, I'm pretty sure that the rubber inserts went quite a ways toward the middle of the axle, and there may have even been a retention device (kind of like C-clips in a differential) located near the center of the axle. I seem to think that torsion mechanisms on the newer axles are more compact towards the ends of the axle tube, but can't say that for sure.

It would really be bad to drill into the axle tube and find that you are drilling into the rubber or axle itself.

Is it worth the risk on a guess? (The only acceptable answer is no.)
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets