Help Selecting an Axle (NT Ironton Trailer)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Help Selecting an Axle (NT Ironton Trailer)

Postby MikeofLegend » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:10 pm

We purchased a 5'x8' Ironton trailer from Northern tool.
We would like to upgrade the axle to 3500 lbs, add brakes and 14" tires.

Before I purchased the axle, springs, brakes and wheels I wanted to make sure that I purchased the right size axle...

I measured 58.5" spring centers. This seems like an odd size considering that the standard for a 5' trailer is 58".

Can someone with an Ironton 5x8' iron trailer who has changed their axle p,ease confirm that 58.5" spring center and 73" hub face are the right measurements?

Thanks! :thumbsup:
MikeofLegend
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Help Selecting an Axle (NT Ironton Trailer)

Postby swoody126 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:35 am

though i am knot an ironton trlr owner i would be comfortable w/ the 58.5" dimension

over many years of buying & building trlrs i have found the extra 1/2"± to be common

a fudge factor of 1/2" allows the operator clearance for the advertised space, width & length

a 4x8 trailer that doesn't have that clearance wouldn't carry a sheet of plywood comfortably...

the 4x8 floor on my 1-ton pickup measures 49"x97"...

now, the question is, have you measured the center to center distance between the spring perches on the frame?

measure both sets of perches fore & aft

if those measurements agree, you should be good to go with that part of your project

as for the hub face dimension, are you using the SAME wheel/tire assemblies?

if so, using the measurement you have should suffice

if knot, you have some more math to do

just a ponderment... didn't northern offer a suitable trlr w/ a 3500# suspension already?

yours is knot the first thread, over several forums i am a member of, where this question was posed

IMHO, the frame & suspension combinations are usually engineered to safely provide many years/miles of transportation

like i said, just a ponderment

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:03 am

You might find helpful in this thread: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=58078
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:15 pm

+1 on double checking the hanger locations, regardless of the frame measurements. The hangers may not be centered on the frame rails. In fact, when building would C-channel, it would be good design practice to locate the spring hangers as close to the vertical web as possible, especially if not installing a stiffener between the flanges at those locations.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets