Mod Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Mod Question

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:00 am

I think I have decided on the 4X8 from TSC, but have one question. The plans I got from Andrew's site call for the axle to have 67" between hubfaces if I am reading it correctly. This is to allow 56" between the wheel wells inside, since I am building over the wheels. My question is: what should I expect to pay for having the axle cut and lengthened. And should a regular welding shop be able to do this? If its gonna cost too much, I will find another alternative for a trailer. Thanks.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby bg » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:23 am

Every time I've bought an axle I was able to have it made to order. I would think that any axle manufacturer could do the same.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:44 am

Indy to determine H2H measurement you need the frame width, + any overhang of the body, + the offset of the tire wheel combination, + 1"(x2) for tire clearance on both sides...however if you are building out over the wheels, all you havta do is adjust your wheel wells accordingly
madjack 8)

p.s. which of Andrew's many plans are you building from
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:43 pm

madjack, right now I am planning a slightly modified version of his 2+2H. I want to put in two bunks instead of just one, so I am planning to take the upper part of the hanging locker up front and then lengthen the body 9". That will just give just room enough for a second 42" bunk up front. Im also thinking that I may take a small part of each bunk width for some small kinda narrow storage lockers. That way each of my boys can have some sorta private storage space of their own. I'm trying to continue the thought that Andrew put forth in the design of having the bunk space be sort of a cabin of its own.
It is because Im building that design that I was asking about lengthening the axle on the trailer. If I move the wheelwells closer together, then mama and daddies bed gets narrower. While there might be some benefits to that, I am a big guy and like plenty of room. If it becomes too much trouble to make the 4X8 trailer from TSC work, I know where I can get a used boat trailer for $200 that could also be made to work, but would require considerable work to cleanup and paint, service bearings, etc. I really appreciate how quickly everyone answers questions when I post. I am really looking forward to sharing the final design and construction process with you guys.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby goldcoop » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:59 pm

Tom-

Why dont you use the top of the wheel wells for partial support for a full width
Momma/Dad bed?

You can use the area underneath for storage and it creates a dead air space for additional warmth.

Check out my gallery of pics showing the sofa/bed, etc. and ask any questions you may have, I'm sure someone will have some good ideas!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:56 pm

Tom, I was thinking along the lines of COOP and making the area beteen the wheel wells into storage space ala the Lil Diner...that raises the bed above the wheel wellls, giving room for a largebed and the installation of a table/sette type of setup, if wanted
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets