Carriage bolts holes in steel

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Carriage bolts holes in steel

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:17 pm

I'd say the steel is all within a whisker of 1/8" - so not hard to file and a little chibbling with a sabre saw probably speeds it.

I said 13/32 square above I meant 15/32 - so a 7/16 hole and then cut and file to allow carriage bolt to seat well.

Now - if I can just determine more precisely how far to move the axle.......which is I can't really do with out deciding how far I'll extend the tongue....But I'm close to all that.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby JaggedEdges » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:33 pm

I think I'd drill 4 3/16 holes, jab the middle out and file from there, but that's just me.
Jack of all trades, Doctor of rocket surgery and fellow of the noble college of shadetree meddlers. "in argentum tenax vinculum speramus"
JaggedEdges
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:36 pm

JaggedEdges wrote:I think I'd drill 4 3/16 holes, jab the middle out and file from there, but that's just me.

Why would I not start with a hole that is right size for bolt? Or, I guess you mean each corner. I might if I had a drill press but feel less comfortable with a hand drill.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets