Old trailer. No title. World of pain

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Old trailer. No title. World of pain

Postby Dale M. » Fri May 12, 2017 9:54 am

Ahem... Get "Bill of Sale" for one trailer chassis with #xxxxxxxxx on hitch coupler...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri May 12, 2017 10:28 am

There should be a remedy. They can't just exclude you unless they can show that the trailer is stolen or does not pass safety.

Keep trying to work within the system. Sometimes there will be a dedicated customer service person at DMV/State that knows better how to handle unusual situations. They should be able to help you find the right words to use when dealing with the box filler inners, making your situation fit inside of the proverbial box.

Maybe in lieu of a bill of sale you could write a statement of how you came by the trailer, and have it notarized as you sign it. That might be official enough to get them rolling on the ownership in doubt process.

From my experience if you ask too many questions they will find reasons to turn you away.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Philip » Fri May 12, 2017 11:53 am

Take this with a grain of salt. What I would do.

If I found no VIN number on the frame. First I would cut it down to finished size. Then I would reweld every seam left on the frame. Make sure to hide all original welds. Then I would install a new axle. Make sure to keep receipt for it and the tires/wheels. The I would apply for a home built title. When asked about the metal used in the frame. It was scrounged up used, most of it was free to haul off. If you can get receipts for any used steel just use them on the build sheet.

If you look a little deeper in the links I provided. It says trailers under 2k GVW do not require inspection.

If the frame does have a old VIN. I would weld a steel plate over it. If inspected. I would say that is where the new VIN would be stamped.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Postby egjacks » Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Philip,
Could you point me at the part that says no inspection is needed? I have been through those and do not see that specific part.

General update:

I have been back to the licensing place, showing them the new form given to me that says the records no longer exist since it has been more than 6 years, and they agree that there is no point to keep trying to acquire non-existent records.

By the way, I have had more luck dealing with the auto licensing place than with the county auditors office. I think the one makes money for everyone they help as opposed to the county auditors office that are government employees. I am not sure if this is the case but the auto licensing place seems to be trying to be more helpful and accommodating, maybe because if they can help me they make more money.

Anyway, so they think it is time for me to schedule an inspection to start the ownership in doubt process, which is sort of what I have been trying the whole time. I need to make the trailer road worthy, so I might throw some lights and a deck and fenders on it and make a little utility trailer that I can later turn into a teardrop if it seems like the right thing to do. I am going to try keeping the Vin as is, although it sounds like a new Vin might be assigned. I hope this will be the best thing, as it will save me form having to replace the fully functional hitch coupler with one without the Vin. Plus if there is a hidden Vin somewhere it is less likely to bite me.

Wish me luck everyone. Although it might take a while to go through this process! I will try to post updates as warranted.
Eric
Teardrop Master

Postby K7MXE » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:18 am

I know its been a while but get a bill of sale from someone in Oregon where they dont register small trailers. Or sell it to a Oregon builder and go find something else.
Washington sucks big time and its all about picking your pocket when it comes to the dmv or the permit process to do something with real estate.
K7MXE
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets