Northern Tool PARTS (not the kit) trailer with upgrades

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Northern Tool PARTS (not the kit) trailer with upgrades

Postby jbell.louisburg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:43 am

OK, so I'm planning on some of the 'typical' upgrades that many people want including larger tires, etc.
and I think I'm coming to the conclusion I'm better off just buying the parts and bolting my own trailer together, rather than buy the kit.
Northern has exactly ONE axle that seems the right width for a 5' wide tear -- I think it will work.
Walmart car tires that I found have an 88 load rating, which is 1235lbs per tire, AND they are speed rated, unlike typical trailer tires.
My list doesn't include fenders, cause I'm not sure what style fenders I want - so that is an additional expense.
However, even with fenders, it's no more than $100 extra, and that's using REAL c-channel, not stamped in a C shape metal.

So, opinions, thoughts on this? apology if search missed a thread that deals with this exact issue.

#44063 swivel jack $22.99
#605667 coupler $29.99
#21515 axle hanger kit #22.99
#125211 2000lb leaf springs $29.99
#57225 pair of 5x4.5 hubs $60.78
#48191 2000lb axle 75" $69.99
Northern Total $236.73

#58056X2 silver spoke trailer Ebay Wheels $52.33
Solar 4xs 185/70r14 walmart tires $70

Total minus steel $359.06
45' c-channel steel metalbythefoot $151.50

Total $510.56 plus tax and tire mounting at walmart.
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Northern Tool PARTS (not the kit) trailer with upgrades

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:54 am

Good plan. NT trailer is less than a day to assemble. How long do you think your version will take with cutting, welding, and drilling and is it worth it to you? Also is getting it registered or whatever is required where you live feasible? Home built designs are not easy in some states. (If I were to - I'd buy the cheapest trailer I could find and use its VIN and title and hopefully not get caught.) That's all that matters.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby jbell.louisburg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:07 am

QueticoBill wrote:Good plan. NT trailer is less than a day to assemble. How long do you think your version will take with cutting, welding, and drilling and is it worth it to you? Also is getting it registered or whatever is required where you live feasible? Home built designs are not easy in some states. (If I were to - I'd buy the cheapest trailer I could find and use its VIN and title and hopefully not get caught.) That's all that matters.

Good question:
Registration
Kansas law exempts trailers from registration if the total weight of the trailer and load being carried does not exceed 2,000 pounds.
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:47 pm

Lucky. Following up on a thread on Tennessee trailer plates, no registration there but you either do have to or may have a plate. Seems you'll need or at least will want a plate if you travel out of state.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 pm

I hired someone to build me a 5x9 trailer frame. I have everything else already. I needed 3500 # capacity. The original quote was 548.00. When I saw drawings I asked for more cross members. He quoted 600. When he came to sign contract the drawing had not been changed to reflect more cross members. I questioned it and he said if I build you that it's 1100$. So if your not welding it up yourself it's going to cost you more than your thinking. Plus bolts and lugnuts are needed if not included. Primer, paint, lights safety chains are needed.too
Some of your prices seem off. Try finding and axle with hubs and maybe springs included. Any farm and family type stores near you? Spring are doubled so two 1000# are for a 2000# trailer, so that may save some $.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby martymcfly » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:13 pm

It looks like you got about$180 in axle components. I had a 2k torsion axle built to my specs with all new hubs, bearings, lugnuts, kotter pins seals, everything but grease for $190.
martymcfly
Teardrop Master

Postby jbell.louisburg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:24 pm

martymcfly wrote:It looks like you got about$180 in axle components. I had a 2k torsion axle built to my specs with all new hubs, bearings, lugnuts, kotter pins seals, everything but grease for $190.

from where? I'd love to go torsion, but the only way with Northern parts is a pair of stub's, and that's not anywhere close to that price.

As far as my prices, straight from the websites.

47heap.blogspot.com ..... I've got a big 200amp welder, as well as ability to bolt things up.
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:13 pm

Being able to weld would save some, but welding supplies cost would be added. I to have a welder, but I know my limitations. I'd would not weld the main frame and spring hangers, with my welding. As for pricing. Prices just seem off to what I've seen at my local TSC and Family Farms. But I also have 3500 springs and axles with prices still on them, had for a few years. I looked at new and everything now costs a lot more. If its ordered and it's not free shipping it's another added "hidden" cost. Since I don't even like the quality and strength of the Carry on line of trailers. I'd be one for a custom built frame. But custom, quality and strength is not cheap. Just can't compete price wise.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:10 am

I think you will find you can buy a manufactured utility trailer ( some thing like one for ATC's) cheaper the you can make one.... Look beyond the "kit trailer"...

For example.... http://www.carsontrailersales.com/pre_o ... eh=2270853

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby greygoos » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 am

As others have used as well as myself maybe find a used trailer that is welded. They are all over craigslist. Just use the frame and scrap the rest. A new axle on ebay for 2000 pounds with hubs delivered is about 140.00. You will spend less than a bolt together trailer from HF or Northern and have a solid base to start.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Postby woodywrkng » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:13 am

JBell. It's considered a bit risky using car tires on a trailer. I'm no expert on this, and I assume the car tires will indeed work, but those in the know say there's a reason trailer tires are built differently, and can cost more than car tires. Maybe do a little research on the subject before pulling the trigger at Walmart.
woodywrkng
Silver Donating Member

Postby jbell.louisburg » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 am

woodywrkng wrote:JBell. It's considered a bit risky using car tires on a trailer. I'm no expert on this, and I assume the car tires will indeed work, but those in the know say there's a reason trailer tires are built differently, and can cost more than car tires. Maybe do a little research on the subject before pulling the trigger at Walmart.

I've done a bit of research on this --
yes trailer tires typically have a higher load range, stiffer sidewall, lower speed rating.
yes car tires typically have a lower load range, more flexible sidewall, higher speed rating.

Stiffer sidewalls are typically credited to less trailer "wallow" however, most wallow comes from wrong wheel/weight placement and not enough tongue weight.
I'm going to make sure on my trailer design, that the wheels will be far enough back, to eliminate any wallow and/or trailer wiggle/sway.

The walmart tires have a load rating of 88, which is 1235lbs per tire, which is higher than my max load of 1000lbs per tire
(2000lbs max trailer weight on axle, springs, etc...)

So, because these particular tires have plenty of load capacity, and they are speed rated, then I have no concerns towing at 75mph.
jbell.louisburg
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dale M. » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:15 pm

jbell.louisburg wrote:So, because these particular tires have plenty of load capacity, and they are speed rated, then I have no concerns towing at 75mph.

Dont come to California... Towing speed limit is 55 MPH...

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby QueticoBill » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Dale M. wrote:
jbell.louisburg wrote:So, because these particular tires have plenty of load capacity, and they are speed rated, then I have no concerns towing at 75mph.

Dont come to California... Towing speed limit is 55 MPH...

Dale

Does that apply to all trailers like a tear, boat, whatever? And is it enforced much? Seems dubious.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Sorry but it seems like when you asked for thought and opinions. You wanted them but when offered you shoot them down.
Good luck with your build, hope it works out for you.

Padilen
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets