Tractor supply trailer vs NT or HF upgrade

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tractor supply trailer vs NT or HF upgrade

Postby spolk10 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:00 am

I am new here and if this is posted somewhere else I'm sorry. I could not find it. I am looking at options for trailers. It seems a lot of people buy the NT or HF trailers. Most upgrade the axles and tires. I was wondering if which is better, to modify the Tractor Supply utility trailer or to buy and possibly upgrade the NT/HF trailers. By modify the TS trailer I mean remove the mesh, sides, and tailgate. Welding is not a concern if I need to add any extra support for either option.
spolk10
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Tractor supply trailer vs NT or HF upgrade

Postby Padilen » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:48 am

I think many like the bolt together, easier to change a bolt hole than weld. Cost would be another reason, and no cutting up side rails and bottom. As for quality I don't think there can be a lot of difference. Maybe the Carry On, is a little better.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

I looked hard at the tsc trailers and others and choose the Ironton frm NT. $200 less and easier to modify. I can upgrade to 13" wheels for less but probably if i upgrade, ill go to 14. And the TSC meant a lot more work grinding off rails and mesh etc. And then painting. Plus the tongue wont support a tongue box as easily.

Thats me and my priorities. Pick your priorities and go for it.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby elcam84 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:08 pm

The welded trailers that tractor supply, lowes,northern tool and pretty much any you see for sale that are not from a trailer store are all made by carryon. They are not particularly well made but they are very cheap and will do fine for light duty use.
IMO the bolt together units are a better solution for most teardrop trailer builders. I prefer the northern tool one as its black instead of orangy yellow that will fade quickly.

I have a 5x10 carryon with pipe rails instead of angle. It's a better overall built trailer Than the typical borg versions however the axle is way too far back as they place it in the same spot as a 5x8. But for a tear drop that isn't really an issue if you make sure it's butt heavy and not nose heavy. Would I buy it again... no. But at $750 it wasn't bad however if I made the drive east I could have had a professionally designed and built trailer from one of a couple real trailer builders for around 1k. But LOML said we had to get one right now...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby spolk10 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:39 pm

I ended up buying a $1300 trailer instead. It was a lot more than I planned on spending, but the quality is 100 times better. Check out PJ Trailers. A local business sells them and they are very well built. I hope it will work for my camper. I bought the 5x10 utility trailer. The rails are bolted on and easily removed. They sold it to me without the tailgate which saved me $300. https://www.pjtrailers.com/
spolk10
Teardrop Inspector

Postby elcam84 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:36 am

PJ makes nice trailers. Big tex is the popular brand around here but both as well as diamond and about 4 other trailer factories are in MT Pleasant about 3 hrs east of me. It wasn't the distance that was the issue it's that I hate having to make a trip through hell I mean Dallas to get to the other side... Since I don't have to go to there every day anymore I avoid that city like the plague.

I like the folding ramp that diamond has on their trailers and need to rebuild mine like that but to also fold flat on the trailer and be removable. Ramps often get in the way.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
elcam84
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:43 pm

elcam84,
Do you have any pics of folding ramp?
Thanks

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets