welding tutioral

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

welding tutioral

Postby critter » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:18 pm

hey all,
how about somebody doing a welding tutioral with tips for welding up frames.i know there is a bunch of newbys out there with new welders that dont have a clue so well head them in the right track.ill get the ball rolling with a couple.first make shure your metal is the exact right length,a 1/32 in. here and a 1/32 there and it wont be square.use squares, lasers,or you can use a tape measure cross corners to get it exactly square.when you weld it together spot weld every 1 1/2 in all around first but not in the same joint all at one time.the heat will warp it and it wont be square so do 1 or 2 pot welds on one corner then go to another back and forth till you have it all spotted.then go back and weld the rest.hope this helps someone.lets hear from some pf the pros out there :applause: :thumbsup:
critter

salad anit food... its what food eats!

critter
critter
500 Club

Postby Chris C » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:27 pm

I've found this site: http://www.hobartwelders.com/mboard/ very helpful with welding questions. Nice bunch of fellows. :thumbsup:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby madjack » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:37 pm

critter. I believe that BG is doing eggzactly that with the trailer frame he is building for Julie...will probably put it in a pdf and link it at the top when he is done
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: welding tutioral

Postby PaulC » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:44 pm

critter wrote: so do 1 or 2 pot welds

Hey Maaaan, That sounds so cooooool :lol: :lol:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Here is a tutorial

Postby Guy » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Here is a MIG welding tutorial with web videos. A site the experts here will have to rate.[/url]
Regards,

Guy
Keep on living, laughing, learning and loving.
Guy
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby D. Tillery » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:22 pm

Yeah, There is a lot of great info from the real pros, AWS certified welders, available online.

Here are the major sites I know
http://www.aws.org/
http://www.millerwelds.com/
http://www.esab.com/
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/

I am not AWS certified. Anytime I need any really technical info I search online or call someone I know who might know. I've been welding for about 20 yrs and I weld almost every day, about 300# of wire a year, plus stick, TIG and oxy/acet brazing. I'll do my best to answer any questions. If I don't know I may know where to find out. But surely there is someone around this forum w/ some AWS certs and/or more experience.
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:17 pm

One word of advice.... patience. Don't be in any hurry and take your sweet time. 8) Make that tear drop time!!
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:08 am

Patience is good.

Also, don't put a death grip on your gun, torch or stinger. Treat it like an instrument, not a sledgehammer. Relax and breathe (but stay out of the plume). You will be much more steady and won't wear yourself out.

Coming soon: Penetration and Undercut

PS I used a customer's Snap-On the other day which got me thinking about the "little things" I like and don't about different machines but maybe that's another thread if anyone's interested.
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby toypusher » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:34 am

D. Tillery wrote:......Also, don't put a death grip on your gun, torch or stinger. Treat it like an instrument, not a sledgehammer. Relax and breathe ......... You will be much more steady and won't wear yourself out.

Coming soon: Penetration and Undercut

PS I used a customer's Snap-On the other day ................

Take this out of context and :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :R:
:lol:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:01 pm

:laughing1: :lol: :lol:
That just ain't right no matter how you look at it!!
Only the editor extrodinair woulda caught that!!
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:07 pm

On a more serious note. I've used several different machines since I've been welding.
What I've found is just time will help. Esp. with the cheaper welders. They all do a simaliar job just some need the extra time and steadiness.
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:17 pm

OK y'all are too much.

But Billie Jean King is still the spokesperson for Snap-On Tools.

Look what you've started :cry:
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby D. Tillery » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:32 pm

Aside from how various machines perform some features, or lack thereof, can really make things easier over time, or bug the crap out of you.

On this Snap on I used
It's a little beat up but it welded great. Strong duty cycle and did not wimp out and break up on some long hot welds of several minutes straight on a OTR car trailer. But it is a 250 amp machine, bigger than most need.
The one little thing that bugged the crap out of me is that it did not have a handle on it. Rolling it around was a pain in the ass with no handle and left no good place to hang the torch hose. Hanging it on the side as shown, I found inconvenient.

What I really thought was a neat feature is the plug on the back
It allows you to just make cords how ever long you need with only one plug.

Anyway, just a couple of little things that can make a big difference over time.

I think that Century Electric makes Snap-On as well as Craftsman. The Snap-On sticker will cost you about a 30% premium, Craftsman sticker about 20%.
D. Tillery
D. Tillery
Teardrop Master

Postby Kevin A » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:11 pm

I have a question. A poster in another unrelated thread mentioned using argon with (I assume) his wirefeed (mig) welder. I'm using Co2 with my wirefeed. The question I have is what gas are you all using and what results are you noticing in your welds? And no methane is NOT a welding gas for any of you anticipating fart jokes.... ;)
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby madjack » Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:15 pm

...argon..................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets