Red Folding Trailers--any experience with these?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Red Folding Trailers--any experience with these?

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:48 am

Hi Everyone,

Well, I am continuing research and am considering a Red Trailer (redtrailers.com) foldable 5 x 8 bolt together frame (I don't have a weld setup).

Does anyone have any experience with these? My alternative would be to go with a TSC 5 x 8 Carry On special order. In either case I have to deal with dealers/companies a couple of hours from the Jersey shore.

Oh, and while I am at it has anyone had any experience with Tiny Tears--a RI firm with plans for classic tears? None of the 'contact us' on their website works so there is no way to ask questions email etc.

This is an awesome forum. I would like to donate to it but do not want to use Pay Pal...any way to make donation by mail?

Thanks,

Jim Woods
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby toypusher » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:02 am

Jim,

TomS used the redtrailer check out his site: Tom's site

Not sure if anybody here has used the 5x8 TSC, but Lenny has used the 4x8 and there is a thread on here about the TSC trailer Trailer Thread

Don't know about the Tinytears. What profile do you like??

You should PM "mikeschn" about sending a check or money order!
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby rampage » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:34 am

I just got home from work and my 5X8 red trailer was sitting at the door. the boxes are pretty beat up. i hope i have all of the pieces. hopefully i can start putting it together this weekend. i'll let you know what i think.
P.S. i'm taking pics but i have to find the cable to get the pics in my computer.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

New Joisy rules for registering home built/small trailers

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:53 am

Hello again,

I have included the website for NJ DOT page re: registration of home built trailers/small trailers less than 2500 lbs gvwr. Note that these small trailers DO NOT have to be titled in NJ but they do need notarized bill of sale. And, of course the old catch 22, you have to have a certified weight slip, which begs the question of how you get to the weigh point legally, with no registration on the trailer. Will go to DOT today and see what they say.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/cit_registration/ ... ities.html

Private Utilities, House Semi-Trailers, and Trailers for
Private Use (Code 22)

To Register

* Visit any MVC Agency
* Present acceptable proof of age and identification
* Complete an application (Form BA-49)
* Present a notarized bill of sale or a notarized statement of receipt from the seller and must include the following:
o Year
o Make
o Serial Number
o Name of to whom it is being sold
o Purchase price
o Date and sellers signature
* Pay the registration fee

Every motor vehicle, including non-conventional vehicles, must contain a manufacturer's serial number. An agency may assign a serial number on homemade trailers only.

To Register a Homemade Trailer

* Visit any MVC Agency
* Present acceptable proof of age and identification
* Complete an application (Form BA-49)
* Present receipts for parts used to build trailer or a notarized statement from owner if receipts cannot be provided
* Present certified weight slip to verify weight indicated on Form BA-49
* Complete an application for Certificate of Ownership for a Homemade Trailer, if trailer exceeds 2,500 pounds
* Inspect trailers that exceed 2,500 pounds
* Pay the registration fee

Inspection and Plates

Code 22 vehicles are subject to self-inspection and display regular trailer plates.

The law limits vehicles of this type to the following dimensions:
Width 96 inches
Height 13 feet 6 inches
Length single vehicle 35 feet
Length semi-trailer and towing vehicle 48 feet
Length trailer and towing vehicle 58 feet

Note:

* In computing any dimension, items of safety equipment (such as mirror or lights) are not included provided they do not exceed the overall limitations.
* If gross weight including load exceeds 3,000 lbs., or 40% of the towing vehicle's gross weight, trailer must be equipped with brakes.

Vehicles of this type exceeding the above limitations may be operated only with special permit from:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Motor Carriers Unit
225 East State Street
P.O. Box 013
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0013
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

tiny tears stuff

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:47 am

Kerry,

The model I'm interested in is the 'Boxter'--you can see some small thumbnails at http://www.tinytears.cc/patterns.html I suspect these are all 4 x 8's but it shouldn't be too hard to modify them to a 5 x 8 configuration (probably will regret ever writing that <g> Gotta have the extra sleep room or else....

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby EZ » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:01 am

Jim, you got a "." stuck on the end of your link. It is:

http://www.tinytears.cc/patterns.html

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:38 am

Ed,

And I am going to build a tear? <g> Whoa <G>

Thanks for fixing the '.' thing !

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

red trailer

Postby Mark & Andrea Jones » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:50 am

We used the red trailer. It came to the door via UPS in 3 boxes and the trailer was put together in about an hour & a half. Suggestion: use an impact wrench to do this. However, after looking at the TD plans, we ended up moving the axel & making the changes suggested to stiffen the frame - you don't want a folding frame for a TD! Another 1.5 hrs at least.

How well did it work? Well, since the frame is bolted together instead of welded, we had to be careful in locating where to fasten the floor to the trailer frame. Also, where the bolts were on the top of the frame, we had to make sure to to allow room around the bolts for the floor to sit on the frame.

NOTE: if you do replace or use different bolts than what comes in the package, be sure to get stainless bolts.

Would we use it again? Maybe. However, next time we might actually build our own trailer - but that adds a significant amount of time to the build due to having to get it inspected, etc for titling purposes. Time-wise, this was the best route for us, but probably not the least expensive.

Oh, we got the 5 X 8, which was difficult to find with other manufacturers. One other thing. Try to minimize the weight on the rest of the build. The axel is only rated for 1400 lbs, I think.

Another thing you might reconsider. The tail light package that comes with the trailer is hideous and I don't like it. It sticks out and I knock my shins on it all the time - of course, I'm not the most graceful of people either. If it wasn't such a pain to move the lights up onto the hatch, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Andrea.
Quality Water Treatment Solutions in the New River Valley! www.clearcreekwaterworks.com
Mark & Andrea Jones
The 300 Club

Re: beat up boxes on red trailer delivery

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:05 pm

Ramp,

I hope the 'beat up' boxes don't mean any damage or lost pieces for you Ugh! The shipping charge--$95 for New Jersey--isn't cheap so you would hope they didn't give it to Lost Cause Movers!

Let us know how things go...

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Red trailer behave well over the road?

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:11 pm

Andrea,

Thanks for the information and experience using the red trailer. If I could weld one, I would probably prefer that but if I go nuts, I could spend way more for tools than for the trailer--end up being cheaper to buy one <g>
I assume that 'over the road' the trailer has behaved well? You're point about the lights makes me think I would plan to move them while building.

Thanks again,

Jim,

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Re: Red Folding Trailers--any experience with these?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:28 pm

Hey Kayak Guy,

Welcome to the forum...

I see you got some feedback on the red trailer... I would convert a foldable trailer into a rigid one, and then it should make a good base for any trailer you can dream up...

As for the donation part, check your PM...

Thanks,

Mike...

kayakrguy wrote:Does anyone have any experience with these?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby TomS » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:36 pm

As Kerry mentioned, I built my tear on a 5x8 Red Trailer frame. It worked OK for me. Although, you'll want to take your time and plan carefully when moving the spring hangers back. Otherwise, you'll wind up drilling unecessary holes in your frame like I did. Also, be sure to consider the travel of the slipper springs when when deciding where to place your bolts.

If you follow the Kuffel plans or the standard build practices discussed here, you'll have no problem coming in under the 1,450 gross weight limit of this trailer.

So far, I've towed my trailer from Massachusetts to Florida and back, a total round trip of about 3,000 miles with no problems.

I have no experience with the TSC frames. If I were to do it over again, I'd give it serious consideration.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby larryl » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:59 pm

Jim:

I used a TSC 5X8 ,no floor ,trailer. Axle is rated for 2000 lbs. Received a title with the purchase, real simple to get my tags. Cost was $457.00 plus tax.

If I were to build again, would definitely use the same trailer.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Interesting financials...

Postby kayakrguy » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:32 pm

Folks,

I have been talking to TSC and looking at Red Trailer's website. On RT's website, the 5x8 is $479 + $95 shipping to NJ. The TSC price for a 5x8 was quoted as $450...I would have to drive 2 hrs each way for pick up, but it would be 'ready to go', no assembly required, no moving axles. Now, the TSC is heavier 400 vs 275 lbs for the Red trailer and it has WAY more load capacity than the Red 2000 vs 1175 for the Red. That may be more than some people can use/need. But as in everything, there are tradeoffs.

Thought people would like to know. FYI the TSC in NJ is in Washington NY--up in the Northwest quadrant...

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby TomS » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:37 pm

Kayakerguy,

Let us know what trailer you decide to use. And more importantly, let us know how it works out for you. Good luck!
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets