Red Folding Trailers--any experience with these?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby kayakrguy » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:33 am

Len,

If my vehicle could tow more--must be 1000<--I would probably go with the TS trailer, but it weighs in at 400lbs+ and the 2000 lb axle--nice if you need that and can pull it--offers way more carrying capacity than I really need at the moment. I think that all things being equal the TS is a better trailer for the money...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby larryl » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:13 am

Jim:

The empty weight of my 5 X 8 TSC, no floor,nor sides,nor gate is listed on the title as 250 lbs, not 400 lbs.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:15 am

Larry,

Thanks for your heads up on the wieght. Now I am in
Confused (cant get the smileys to work but would pick the really confused one with the rolling eyeballs)

I was told by someone at the TSC store in Washington, PA that the trailer weight was 400lb for the 5x8. Now, I don't know how good/accurate his info was. I did try to phone Carry On trailers but both times the phone was busy.

If your trailer was 250# I doubt that the design would have changed THAT much to add 150# of weight now??!!

I wonder if other members with TSC-carry Ons also show 250# on their title/MCO?

If the trailer IS 250# I would go for it.

Jim :? :?
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby toypusher » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:56 am

Jim,

Are you sure that the #400 was for the "no-floor" tailer??
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby larryl » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:28 am

Jim:

I think Kerry is correct. The 400 lbs is for the trailer with floor,sides and rear ramp/gate.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby kayakrguy » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:52 pm

I think you guys should work for TSC <g> Isuspect the guy WAS quoting the landscape trailer weight ...will recheck with them. Thanks again for the heads up,

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby rampage » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:44 am

Hey guys,
I see that the Generic Benroy plans call for the axle to be moved to 33" from the rear on the Redtrailer. I'm going to build the Benroy on top of the frame like the Kufflecreek Cubby plans call for, and it says to move the axle to 36" from rear.
Both plans call for mods that I wont do. 1.The Benroy calls for trimming 2" off of the width and 2.Cubby calls for trimming 2 1/8 off of the length. I've been putting off attaching my hangers because i've been pondering over this to get it right.
Any advise from you guys would be great. Thanks
Last edited by rampage on Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:57 am

rampage wrote:Hey guys,
I see that the Generic Benroy plans call for the axle to be moved to 33" from the rear on the Redtrailer. I'm going to build the Benroy on top of the frame like the Kufflecreek Cubby plans call for, and it says to move the axle to 36" from rear.
Both plans call for mods that I wont do. The Benroy calls for trimming 2" off of the width and Cubby calls for trimming 2 1/8 off of the length. I've been putting off attaching my hangers because i've been pondering over this to get it right.
Any advise from you guys would be great. Thanks

I'll take a look at this if someone can tell me, out of the box, where is the center of the axle?

However, the axle was moved rearward for a good reason. The teardrops are tail heavy. This makes for very unstable towing. You also have to consider your door packaging relative to your wheel and fender.

Last but not least, the Generic Benroy cross members were shortened because more people wanted to hide those ugly red side rails. You could certainly build on top of the frame and not have to shorten your cross rails.

But you will probably have to move your axle. We don't want to have to pull you out of a ditch...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rampage » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:31 pm

Mike, I think the axle sits at 41" from the back per the Redtrailer plans. I'm gonna move it back for sure but was wondering what would be ideal with the way that i'm building it...36" or 33"? I agree with you and TomS about the Redtrailer paint being very ugly. I saw some enamel trailer paint at TSC i'll pick up after i get the hangers on.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:50 pm

Rampage,

Here is the Generic Benroy at 33"

And here it is at 41".

And packaging is just the beginning of your worries...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rampage » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:29 pm

33" it is!!! Thanks Mike. I'm heading over to the donate area right now to keep this board going. Without you guys, I'm just a guy with a bunch of Harbor Freight tools and bandaids. :oops:
Mike if it wouldnt be too much of a hassle could you show the graphic set at 36". Thanks again.
rampage
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:52 pm

Rampage,

You could use 36" as long as you stick with one of the smaller fenders, such as I have shown here.

Mike...

P.S. Have you analyzed your tongue weight at these locations yet?
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:59 pm

I'm using a very simple spreadsheet that doesn't allow for all the variables... but it's good for comparison...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

TSC trailer--location of axle

Postby kayakrguy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:29 pm

Len, Larry, Myke, Ramp et al,

Thanks for the discussion re: axles. I am still chaseing my tail deciding between the red trailer and the TSC trailer.

I have a question for those who have the TSC trailers--when you ordered your 5x8 trailers did you specify WHERE you wanted the axle located on the frame? If so, where did you specify--why? If you didn't specify where you wanted the axle, where, in fact was the axle located when you got your TSC trailer?

I gotta make a decision soon....the suspense is driving me nuts! <g>

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby rampage » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:50 am

kayakrguy,
there is a sticky at the top of this section with the specs for the 4x8 from TSC. It says the axle is at 37" from the rear. I guess its the same on the 5x8. Keep us up to date on what you choose.
rampage
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets