Repairing sheet metal on old tent trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Repairing sheet metal on old tent trailer

Postby legojenn » Sun May 27, 2018 11:13 am

Last year, I bought a 1960s soft-top tent trailer. I thought that I would use it for a couple of seasons, then see what I'll be driving when it becomes unusable. Anyhow, I think that I want to put the effort into restoring it. The canvas and frame in good shape and I ordered a travel cover for it.

I want to restore it to its original colour which was metallic gold. Before I repaint, I should deal with the rust. It seems to have some rust holes where water is kicked up from the rear tires of the car. The box is completely steel. There is no insulation or wood inside and the steel is somewhat thick. I am wondering if it can be ground down to bare metal and filled in like we would with car sheet metal? If so, are there any resources out there to help with that?

Jenn
legojenn
The 300 Club

Re: Repairing sheet metal on old tent trailer

Postby greygoos » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:13 am

I have sanded or wire brushed trailer frames down to bare metal. I then clean it with acetone. I then use Duplicolor. From the manufacturer - Dupli-Color Rust Fix destroys rust on contact by bonding and transforming it into a sandable and paintable surface. Sprays on clear and transforms into a black, metal protecting coating that prevents future rust from forming. Rust Fix saves you the time of sanding all the way down to bare metal and can be used with body filler and fiberglass. Keep us posted on your progress
Attachments
dupli.jpg
dupli.jpg (21.28 KiB) Viewed 971 times
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Re: Repairing sheet metal on old tent trailer

Postby KCStudly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:54 am

Cut out the rot and weld in a patch panel(s) before any body work.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets