Just a warning

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Just a warning

Postby Tom Horn » Tue May 29, 2018 8:42 am

I ordered a new axle and hub from Southwestwheel.com out of Dallas, Tx. In my order I received one 4 bolt hub and one 5 bolt hub. I don't know how you make that mistake. Anyways I never looked at their online reviews and this is evidently a common problem from them and I am having a hard time getting ahold of someone to correct my problem. I just wanted to inform you as this company seems pretty unreliable and a pain to deal with. I am guessing I am going to have to make the drive down there to get this take care of for me.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Just a warning

Postby bdosborn » Tue May 29, 2018 6:45 pm

Well that's a shame. I bought my Flexiride axle from them and didn't have any issues. Keep us posted on how the take care of you.

Bruce

P.S. I'd be interested to see what the bad reviews had to say, can you post a link?
2009 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
All it takes is a speck of faith and a few kilowatts of sweat and grace.
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Tom Horn » Tue May 29, 2018 9:19 pm

bdosborn wrote:Well that's a shame. I bought my Flexiride axle from them and didn't have any issues. Keep us posted on how the take care of you.

Bruce

P.S. I'd be interested to see what the bad reviews had to say, can you post a link?

Well after 4 calls and getting the run around today, even leaving my name and number with them they never called back. Finally on the 5th call I got a gentleman that is sending me the correct hub out. Now I just hope it actually happens.
Bruce I found all the reviews on the google info page for the business. They had 66 reviews on there some good, a lot of them very bad, with a few bad reviews that just look like a defective product failure which happens. Will update in a few days to if they actually take care of the issue or not. Hopefully they do.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bdosborn » Wed May 30, 2018 11:10 am

Good luck, I hate it when it takes so much work to get a business to do the right thing. :NC

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed May 30, 2018 11:28 am

• Sorry to hear about your bad experience with SW Wheel, I bought a few items from them in 2011, when I started my trailer build (2 wheels, weld-on coupler, safety chain, and fenders with weld-on backing plates), and had excellent service...maybe because I bought them in person, at their warehouse in Dallas. The counterman was very friendly, and helpful, and all I had to do to retrieve the larger parts (wheels & fenders) was to go to their docks on the side of the building, and show the guy there my receipt, and he'd fetch the parts for me. It worked great for me, because at that time I was still working, and I could swing a little out of my way on my 60+ mile drive home, and actually see what I was buying.
  • Tom Horn wrote: I am going to have to make the drive down there to get this take care of for me.
    Though you might have a long drive to correct your problem, in person, if the part they promised to send you isn't right, or not sent at all, I probably drove a lot farther than you will, in my quest for the right parts for my TTT.
  • I bought many more parts in the same way, on my long drive home, from 2 Metal Supermarkets locations, three Home Depot stores, and 2 Lowe's, & 2 Tractor Supply stores (sometimes because I would think of something I'd need, and there was a store nearby as I drove home, or if one store didn't have the item, and so I'd try another). I did similarly on my axle replacement/frame reinforcement project: springs from 2 different Northern Tool stores, axle assembly from Nuera Trailer in Dallas, and Grade Eight hardware & shackles from 2 TSC's, all along my trip home, diagonally across DFW. And there was a particular item I tried to get on another drive home, and it took me out of my normal route, just a bit. Back then, since I was resigned to making long drives everyday, I didn't really mind that I had to go to three different Home Depot stores in order to find the exact model of A/C window unit I was looking for, driving an extra 60 miles out of my way, back in 2013. I was happy to get the last one that store had in stock!
  • The way I figure it, I probably sourced parts & accessories for my trailer from over 20 local DFW metroplex stores, in 5 counties, and 11 cities/towns, and an untold # of items from Amazon Prime, online. I think my obsession to get this trailer built caused me to go to great lengths (literally), to realize my dream. I'm sure that "obsession" with our TnTTT's takes many of us to extreme lengths. to "git'r done".
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Wed May 30, 2018 6:39 pm

I found the Google business comments and it's a pretty discouraging read. I gotta say I'm probably not going to buy anything from them again if I can avoid it.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Wed May 30, 2018 8:11 pm

bdosborn wrote:I found the Google business comments and it's a pretty discouraging read. I gotta say I'm probably not going to buy anything from them again if I can avoid it.

Bruce
It appears that their operation went downhill following their move from Carpenter Freeway, in the west-central industrial district of Dallas, to a new location in the Redbird area of Oak Cliff (southwest Dallas) only 16 miles away. In doing so, probably much of their good, old staff wasn't taken along, and/or their business model changed. A shame, because I liked the guys at the old location.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby bdosborn » Thu May 31, 2018 8:11 am

working on it wrote:It appears that their operation went downhill following their move from Carpenter Freeway, in the west-central industrial district of Dallas, to a new location in the Redbird area of Oak Cliff (southwest Dallas) only 16 miles away. In doing so, probably much of their good, old staff wasn't taken along, and/or their business model changed. A shame, because I liked the guys at the old location.

I wonder if anyone else sells a flexiride axle?

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Thu May 31, 2018 8:43 am

bdosborn wrote:
working on it wrote:It appears that their operation went downhill following their move from Carpenter Freeway, in the west-central industrial district of Dallas, to a new location in the Redbird area of Oak Cliff (southwest Dallas) only 16 miles away. In doing so, probably much of their good, old staff wasn't taken along, and/or their business model changed. A shame, because I liked the guys at the old location.

Bruce

Probably so....

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flexride+axles

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Aguyfromohio » Thu May 31, 2018 11:16 am

We also had a bad experience with Southwest Wheel buying Flexiride axles.

The person on the phone was very knowledgeable about the product, very cheerful and helpful, and the price was good.
But they could not deliver the axles. The ship date came and went with no contact from them. When I called about the situation the helpful person could only repeat empty promises. The excuses centered on missing components for the brakes, maybe a back plate if I recall.

Since we are manufacturing people we are skilled at chasing up a supply chain and getting results. None of it worked - "I will pay to expedite shipping"; "give us the tracking number"; "tell me your supplier so I can call directly"; "I will find a substitute component, buy it and ship it to you for assembly"...

The best I can figure is that the Flexiride axles are sold from the Lubbock store, but everything is purchased and received at the Dallas HQ store. Dallas is inept and dishonest and lies to Lubbock.
I eventually broke through to someone at the Dallas store who told me they are forbidden from saying anything at all to a customer about a late order, and all I could do was wait endlessly without any updated delivery promise. We cancelled the order at Southwest Wheel and bought from a Flexiride dealer in Cleveland, everything turned out fine. Great axles. Lubbock did a great job refunding the money, apparently that's the only part Dallas lets them do.
Aguyfromohio
Gold Donating Member

Postby bdosborn » Thu May 31, 2018 6:52 pm

Dale M. wrote:Probably so....

Dale

As usual, you're of no help whatsoever.

Bruce
Boxcar Build
aVANger Build
bdosborn
Donating Member

Postby Dale M. » Thu May 31, 2018 7:21 pm

bdosborn wrote:
Dale M. wrote:Probably so....

Dale

As usual, you're of no help whatsoever.

Bruce

Excuse me... What is "as usual" supposed to mean... People were looking for sources for Flexride axles, at least the link posted shows there are other vendors out there... That was the question, that was my response.... I guess it's my fault you may have made a bad choice in vendors I presume?

Dale
Lives his life vicariously through his own self.

Any statement made by me are strictly my own opinion.
You are free to ignore anything I say if you do not agree.

Dale M.
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JRAnt74 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:13 pm

I too am getting the run around from southwestwheel, ordered a kit from them adding a spare tire amd tire carrier, never got the spare tire. Still waiting for a "supervisor" to call me back, and it's been over a week :x

James
JRAnt74
Teardrop Builder

Postby Tom Horn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Dale M. wrote:
bdosborn wrote:

Bruce

Probably so....

Dale

You might want to recheck that link as it leads to nowhere land of google.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tom Horn » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:42 pm

JRAnt74 wrote:I too am getting the run around from southwestwheel, ordered a kit from them adding a spare tire amd tire carrier, never got the spare tire. Still waiting for a "supervisor" to call me back, and it's been over a week :x

James

Good luck!! When I got ahold of someone Tuesday evening they told me it would be shipped out Wednesday. So FedEx would have had it at my house Thursday and as of this evening it still hasn't arrived. I get the feeling I will have to make a trip down there anyways. I really wasn't looking forward to going to Dallas.
Tom Horn
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets