Using Boat Trailers...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:59 pm

That looks Perfect !!! Thanks !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:14 am

Well ,it's Monday and no boat trailers yet , so I'm gonna' have to go buy some steel , and some rods , get the old Lincoln 225 out and start building my own .... I read some threads where people converting boat trailers had to do considerable work to modify them for their purposes ... and a scratch would have been easier ... Schmaybe '?????
as Murphy would have it, as soon as I come back with the steel , I'll be up to my you know what in boat trailers ... better for that second or third TD ...hahahahahahaha and we're off to the steel yard ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:56 am

As Luck would have it , I was on the way to the steel supplier when I spied a place called "the Boat Yard"... hundreds of boats all around and a few utility trailers in the front , so Autopilot took over and pulled in .... Some old Geezer behind the desk ( I knew I could relate ) asked me what I wanted , told him , he showed me what he had , which was about 2K for the size I needed, but had a ramp / sides , all kinds of useless stuff for me .... I showed him my plans and told him I needed a simple CHEAP(natch' ) open frame trailer and did he have anything "used" ... He scratched his head and said " Go look in the back , drive back there , I've got some old frames in the corner".... I was out the door in a flash , drove to the back ( what a big place , so many old boats ) looked around and found the PERFECT sized Boat trailer .... would need a little cleaning /painting , some bearings, and very little modification ..... Oh !!!! And needs some ...baby moons....
Went back , negotiated, that was easy when he found out who I was ( He was another rabid LSU fan and he knew of my Death Valley Poster ,of which I've sold tens of thousands to rabid LSU Fans ... Geaux Tigers!!!), small world , Got it for $350.oo ... 3 1/2 Croakers
Saves me alot of "building time " .... I've got 99 days left to finish ready to roll ....
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:47 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: GEAU TIGERS and yes another hurricane season fast approaches.......................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:56 pm

I had asked all my friends to keep an eye out for a boat trailer ....As you know , I successfully purchased a nice trailer the other day , today , a friend pulls down my driveway with guess what .... another boat trailer .... I had to give him 50 bucks... nice shape , 54" W 16'long .... it's a Dilly !!!!
Guess I'm just gonna' have to make more than one TD ... is this an omen ..??? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:58 pm

GPW,

I'll give you $50 bucks for it if you deliver it like your friend did... :laughter: $>

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:34 am

It would be a long drive, but would be FUN to see what you are working on ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chip » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:59 am

GPW,,, well looks like ya gonna be a two tear family,,,, I mean it would be a shame to saste the extra frame,, :lol: :lol:

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:17 pm

Chip , I hear ya' !!!!! I'm already drawing out an 8 footer.... figure I'll use the scrap from the big one for the little un ' .... :)

I figured I was going to use the best part of ten (10) sheets of 3/4" ply for the 12 footer ... some nice 4x4 pieces left over ... hmmmm???? :thinking:

10 sheets3/4" Birch ply @ X lbs= ? can't be 750, eh ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chip » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:57 am

GP,,, yep,, 750 lbs,, that stuff adds up real quick,, and thats just part of it,,, Just a bit of been thar done that advise,,, look at ways ,;ie framed cavity walls etc to lighten ya load, ya will be happier in the long run,,, pulling around weight ya really dont need to really cuts into the M.P.G. and depending on ya tow vehicle, can put a real beating on it also,, My first trailer was heavy, and a bit of a bear to wrestle by hand,, the second one is a lot lighter and can be moved by one person, loaded

You can end up with the same look, have a very funtional and lighter weight trailer without not a lot more work,, A common mistake is to way over design and over build,, there is a good thread going on right now about lightweight building,,

JMHO,,, chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:25 pm

Chip , thanks , I do tend to get carried away with all the strength business...Your advice will be applied , hopefully saving a few pounds.

Ya know , I'm making this primarily as an escape pod (beam me up Scotty ), a Bugout as you guys are fond of saying ... the wife and pets , all our stuff ...got a camper top for the pickup ...learned alot of Bugout lessons from this last storm, Katrina ...can't repeat those mistakes again ... The smaller TD will be used for FUN stuff and should be substantially lighter... I have designed alot of stuff in the past , but mostly model planes... www.FoamFly.com/gallery/Glen
But working full scale is thrilling , especially since it has a real purpose...and everyone has been so helpful ... it is truly appreciated!!!!! Thanks to all !!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:12 am

I hope you have a hot wire since you work with all that foam. Cutting the insulation for my trailer was one of the messiest operations. I found those little balls of styrofoam for weeks afterwards.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:22 am

Flava' . I actually thought of laminating some blocks of foam , then hot wiring out a TD profile that I could add some 2" sheet foam sides too , then F/glass.... Light !!! Strong , Insulated , REAL EASY, but no character .... not like the beauties pictured here.... might as well be an ice chest ....hahahahaha would be light though , unlike the mistake I'm about to make ...

Picking up the boat trailer today ... I 'll have some pics later for the visual crowd .... (me too )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:22 pm

Hate to sound DUMB, but how do you post pics here ????
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:31 pm

GPW,

It's easy... On the menu up on top click on "Help with Photos"...

Or click here...
http://www.mikenchell.com/pichelp.html

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets