Using Boat Trailers...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Using Boat Trailers...

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:38 am

Gentlemen , living in New Orleans , the need for me to build a TD becomes obvious . Not only a great camper , but a Hurricane "escape POD"... Since the hurricane , lots of boats got blown away/damaged/scrapped, but the trailers are everywhere, some nice and WIDE ... I know that boats are HEAVY compared to TD 's but How would these boat trailers convert ... easily ???
I made my own plans and templates for a 6'Wx12'Lx5'H basic teardrop, to accomidate "Her Worship" the two cats and a Stupid dog ... Ready to build , trailers everywhere....and only 4 months to hurricane season ... Will they work ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:07 am

GPW...welcome to the board...a definite yes on the boat trailers...many here have done so...some things to consider...seriously checkover the bearings and seals...they are the biggest problem spots on boat trailers...you will probably haveta to do a good bit of modding, like removing/adding steel in appropriate places and the axle may well have to be repositioned...boat trailers are especially good if you can get them cheap(read free) because they do take a goodly amt of reworking...get cracking with the season fast upon us you may need to run for the hills...comeon up our way and I will point ya to a good hill to camp upon...and don't forget to take lotsa pics so we can see 'em...we do luv da pics here
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Using Boat Trailers...

Postby JunkMan » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:06 am

GPW wrote: Not only a great camper , but a Hurricane "escape POD".

GPW,

I was just talking to a friend from Marrero last weekend, and mentioned that I was building a teardrop. He said the same thing, about it being a great "escape pod", and is now thinking about building one also. Unfortunatly he has lots of repairs to do on his house, so will probably not get to it this season.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Using Boat Trailers

Postby JIML1943 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:35 am

GPW

Hi the TD i'm building is on a trailer from under a 17'boat mine was always in fresh water and had no rust,angle grinder with cutoff wheel made fast work of getting rid of bunks and roller brackets. Bearings and are important to take a close look at as Madjack said, i opted to put new hubs and bearings rather than clean and pack the old ones i bought new at $50.00 or so for a pair. I did have to shorten the tongue and add angle iron across the frame to get a flat surface for teardrop floor to set on.

Go for it Jim

:thumbsup:
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby Joanne » Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:49 am

GPW wrote:Gentlemen , living in New Orleans , the need for me to build a TD becomes obvious . Not only a great camper , but a Hurricane "escape POD"... Since the hurricane , lots of boats got blown away/damaged/scrapped, but the trailers are everywhere, some nice and WIDE ... I know that boats are HEAVY compared to TD 's but How would these boat trailers convert ... easily ???
I made my own plans and templates for a 6'Wx12'Lx5'H basic teardrop, to accomidate "Her Worship" the two cats and a Stupid dog ... Ready to build , trailers everywhere....and only 4 months to hurricane season ... Will they work ???

Hi GPW!

I did exactly what you are suggesting. I started with an old boat trailer and rebuilt it to my needs.

For me, the down sides were:
- the trailer was made out of heavy channel iron, so the tear trailer is heavier than I would like
- I spent a lot of time cutting down the old trailer to build the new one
- the trailer was OLD so I had a difficult time finding bearings and such
- I ended up still having to replace the hitch, wiring, and refirbish the axle. This reduced the potential savings

The upsides were:
- didn't have to buy steel
- didn't have to purchase an axle, springs, hubs or wheels

In summary, I saved some money but it took longer to build.

You can see how I did it at:
http://www.asolidfoundation.com/dd_frame.shtml

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:10 pm

Hey GPW,

Welcome to the forum. Excellent idea, an escape pod...

Boat trailer will work... and if you like to cut metal and weld, you can turn any trailer into what ever you need.

As a side note, check out this bugout page...
http://www.mikenchell.com/weekender/bugout.html

Since I've written that page, I've built a larger teardrop called a "Baja Benroy" It was a lot bigger, and it included inside dining. I thing that would be just about the perfect size for an escape POD.

Mike...

GPW wrote: but a Hurricane "escape POD"... Will they work ???
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:08 pm

GPW Welcome. Thats what I am now in the process of doing. Picked it up cheap. I did change the axles out though. I wanted to run larger tires. I picked it up cheap.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:51 pm

Dear folks, Many Thanks for your responses... good to have that confirmed, I'm ready to go on the TD , have the full size plans and templates worked out in cardboard (BIG), materials list worked out , and a nice large garage to do it in ... I'm READY !!! :)

Since I've been making bicycle choppers for several years now out of old bike frames from trashpiles , cutting and re-welding the frames artistically ... I think my welding skills will hopefully manage the task . Fortunately , I'll probably have several trailers to "canni" parts off of....That bearing thing is something to beware of , I'll check that out thoroughly ...Thanks !!!

I can't believe the response I'm getting here , everybody I tell about it says "I want one !!! ...Amazing !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby angib » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:31 am

Top Tip: Get a boat trailer with flat frames like the one Steve/Sonetpro has pictured. Many have "vee" frames, and they would have you and your partner rolling into each other all night..... :lol:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby brickz » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:58 pm

GPW - I did it with quite a small boat trailer. THe one regret is not finding this forum in time to think about the axle placement. Mine is a little too far back. Tongue weight is a little high although I can still deadlift it if needed. IT does ride nicely this way though. There have been some threads on estimating the best location and maybe others would help with suggestions. Good luck with the build.

Brickz
"A single accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions" - Admiral Grace Hopper
brickz
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:36 am

OK , I've contacted all my friends , told them to keep an eye out for a boat trailer .... as things are prone to going , They'll all show up at the same time hauling various trailers ... wanting me to build them a TD .... might as well start a shop , everybody wants one ...
learned there is a "sea" of abandoned boat trailers in lower Plaquemine Parish ... Buras , Empire....waiting to be "disposed of"... What a waste , how many could be made into TD's???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:06 pm

Gosh , I Just found out , some boat trailers can be as much as 8' wide !!! That would certainly be easy to make a bit wider TD ... Heck !!! I'm 6'3" and could use a little extra room ....sideways ... Do any of you know how wide I can legally go ... I don't want to go against the Spirit of the TD ... just a little bigger would be COOL !!! I have no idea what kind of trailer(s) fortune will bring .. We will adapt !!! hahahahaha
Now I find out that with a proper floor and frame , I don t have to even have a trailer that goes out sideways all the way to the end of the frame ... (frame can extend over the frame , by a considerable amount ) So much to learn !!! And it's really nice to have experienced "skippers' to hash this out with ... Thanks Guys !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:30 pm

Build what is right for you...

Here's a tiny travel trailer that could be build on a wider trailer...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:00 am

That's a cute idea, but with all that stuff up front , what about the tongue weight ??? Could be reversed, that'd work !!!
From reading so much here,about what and how others have built..It has all become clear ... how these things are put together... and I think these could be easily mass produced for emergency situations, unlike the FEMA debacle here with trailers ...ones here impractical for the "workers" , the only people who are here....DUH , a fleet of TD's would solve alot of problems and afford workers a portable "room" close to the jobsite ...at much less cost to the taxpayers than those "pork " deals they made on those obtained(somebody in the middle made alot of $$$$$$$$$$)... How about a moulded plastic(recycled pop bottles ) shell sorta' like how those porta potties/kayaks are made ( Craftsmen ignore these ramblings) on a simple (any) trailer..Insulated with stock windows , etc...just an idea , not for me , I'm gonna' build one like you guys did , after 75 years ,I feel this design has been refined .... :)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Chip » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:40 pm

Gpw,, I used an older boat frame,, lightweight,, new 1500 lb springs and a 3500 lb axle cut down to approx 60",, worked out really good so far,,

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets