Using Boat Trailers...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:49 am

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:55 am

Good thought... I don't do steel though... unless it's bolted!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:23 am

Steel is quite Fun , if you have the proper tools /protection ....You can see on the big one I'll have to weld some straight cross pieces in the back , the width is 73 3/4"... The box will need another piece across the front to make 12" , just extensions off the V should do it ...With this width I should be able to let the sides rest on the trailer and still have good width inside ... when you're 6'3" , every inch counts ...

Plenty of room for a dropped floor ...hmmmmmm? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:34 pm

My retired welder buddy came by and pronounced the trailer SOUND .... He suggested angle iron cross pieces, that is easy enough for me .... Plus he's gonna' loan me his metal bandsaw for making the cuts .... whooppee no grinder!!! :thumbsup:...Now all I need is a sheet of sandpaper and a gallon of red Rustoleum.... and I'm READY !!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:45 pm

GPW wrote:My retired welder buddy came by and pronounced the trailer SOUND .... He suggested angle iron cross pieces, that is easy enough for me .... Plus he's gonna' loan me his metal bandsaw for making the cuts .... whooppee no grinder!!! :thumbsup:...Now all I need is a sheet of sandpaper and a gallon of red Rustoleum.... and I'm READY !!!!

...sand it yes...Rustoleum ??? I would get a rattle can or 3 of etching primer at your local auto paint supply store...my weldor/painter/bodyman of 30 years told me if I bought any Rustoleumm he wouldn't have anything to do with it
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:58 pm

And don't forget to wipe the whole thing down with laquer thinner before you paint. Right Mike?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:07 pm

asianflava wrote:And don't forget to wipe the whole thing down with laquer thinner before you paint. Right Mike?

Dang, some people have a good memory... Yep, wipe that baby down so the paint sticks to it! :embarassed:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:35 pm

Thanks Guys !!!! I never knew Rustoleum had such a bad rap ...sand , wire brush , scrape ... Yeah , the FUN part .... :roll: Prepsol . gotcha' !!!!
Funny , being an Artist all my life , now qualifies me to paint trailers .... I guess I've come full circle ...hahahahaha

I do have one concern , the axle is only 43" from the rear of the trailer ...obviously made for a boat with a HEAVY outboard motor.... I'll try to cram as much as possible in the back , but almost 8feet of trailer plus the tongue is in the front .... Schmaybe' a brick patio in the galley ????
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:56 pm

36"s for an 8fter, 40"s for a 10fter so 43"s for a 12 fter doesn't sound too bad...do you know Dr. Bob, a famous alt artist from N.O.
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:40 am

M/Jack , what's alt ???
Glad you think the axle thingie' is OK !!! I am totally new at this and am relying on the wisdom and experience of the good members here...so If I ask a DUMB question sometimes....
In fact I've learned so much from studying here , that the actual work seems easy (OK, maybe not the sanding ) and with these boat trailers, it's downright simple (less the sanding)...
So M/Jack , what kind of paint should I use , I wanted something to brush on, like nice old school red enamel...????? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:47 am

alternative, primitive, outsider art...his studio was in the upper 9th ward, amongst all the wharehouses that burned during Katrina...if you build a standard design with the galley in the rear, 43" should be OK...paint...sand the frame, prime with an etch primer, get an industrial paint, I know you can get black but probably other colors as well and 15 dollar HF sprayer and have at it
madjack 8)

re: Dr Bob...he did the art work/decorating for the House of Blues in N.O. and Memphis...maybe some other as well...we go back more'n 30 years, when we were in the cypress knee rustling business together...his tag line is "be nice or leave"...he usually has a booth/performs at the Jazz Fest...MJ
http://drbobart.net/
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:00 am

Yeah , I know who you're talking about now ...seen him around , never got a conversation started ... cypress knees , eh? ... we used to make lamps as kids . that's how we made our fortunes , selling them to those little shops on Airlne Hwy. hahahahahahaah ... many many years ago ....hahahahaha

Got a sculptor friend , makes Madonnas (the religious icons , not the singer) outta the knees and gets good bucks for them ...

as far as the weight distribution , I can barely pick up the tongue of the trailer now(est. 120 lbs) , gonna' have to get one of those wheelie/cranky things on the front ......the old one is bent under the tongue , has to be removed and replaced...
and a nice OAK bumper on the back oughta' help ... got plenty of that as you can see on the trailer pics , already down ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:20 am

Another question has arisen .... my cabin fits on the trailer like the trailer for two ..Mi '47... in that the front frame is bolted on to the front V of the trailer, essentially leaving the front/frame/floor unsupported at the ends... should I weld in an 2x2 angle iron support for the front frame member ??? am I worrying too much ???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:37 am

GPW wrote:Another question has arisen .... my cabin fits on the trailer like the trailer for two ..Mi '47... in that the front frame is bolted on to the front V of the trailer, essentially leaving the front/frame/floor unsupported at the ends... should I weld in an 2x2 angle iron support for the front frame member ??? am I worrying too much ???

Here's what I did. I'm also using a boat trailer. I embedded a 3x1 1/4" C channel in the floor. Routed the grooves for the legs to nest in. When I mounted the floor I drilled though the wood and C channel and bolted it to the V of the frame.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

Postby Sonetpro » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:41 am

Another pic.
}><)))'> ~--------------·´¯) SteveT
You don't know what the limit's are until you take it there.ImageImageImage
Sonetpro
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets