How many bolts?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: How many bolts?

Postby KCStudly » Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:51 pm

I realize this is an older thread, but I would be concerned about the brittleness of these screws. Similar to the concern about using drywall screws for wooden structure, they (dry wall screws) are brittle. In order to drive easily they are thin, so they must have a relatively high yield strength. Er go they are likely to be more brittle. This is fine in a relatively static environment, such as a wooden or steel house stud wall, but might result in issues on a more "dynamically loaded" trailer floor or wall.

Just saying, what is the intended application for this type of scew, and is that comparable to our end uses?

Might be good in the long run, but good to double check.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: How many bolts?

Postby AshlyMacdonald » Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:55 pm

"Looking at your photo, I think that no more than 10 bolts will need to install the cab on the trailer. However, I think threaded rivets would better suit here. Has anyone told you about them?

The installation technology of rivets is really simple. You can master it without much experience. This can be done using a specially designed rivet tool. The bolt needs to be screwed into the riveter to start the installation.

The rivet bolt has a reinforced flange and an elongated thread, which makes it easy to put it on one side of the connected products when it is not possible to use the second side.
This approach to the choice of fasteners does not deform the surfaces of materials at all and does not contribute to their discolouration.

Such a fastener element as a rivet bolt is made of several types of alloys, of which aluminium alloy or galvanized steel of white or yellow colour can be most often found.

For the automotive industry's installation of rear-view mirrors, dashboards, cabs, and spoilers, it is impossible to replace the rivet with any other fastener to provide the required parameters, both load and aesthetic."
AshlyMacdonald
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets