Chassis progress

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Chassis progress

Postby AmyH » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:47 pm

Okay, I am finally making some progress on my chassis. I spent one weekend getting my welder set up (Millermatic 175, love it!!!), and I practiced on it until I had the settings just right. Then I spent last weekend welding the center bars in place, click here. I still need to go pick up some more steel, since I have decided to use something else for the tongue. I originally was going to use the channel that the Kuffel Creek plans called for, but then Doug and some others pointed out that it seemed a bit too flexy. So...now I am going to pick up some 3" by 2" by 1/8" thick tubing for the tongue. I seem to remember Andrew saying that this size would be very strong.

I am widening my design to 5', so I am trying to figure out if I should cut some more 2X2X1/8" tube to add some extensions to the sides of the frame, for support. Right now the frame is 4' wide. What do you all think? Do you think it will even need the extra support?

Thanks everyone, Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:56 pm

Amy,

The frame is looking great :thumbsup:
I think that the extensions will depend on how you are going to build the floor. If you are just going to use plywood, then I would add the frame extensions, but if you are going to frame the floor with 2"x2"s or something, then you may be fine without the extensions.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby AmyH » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:03 pm

I am planning to build the floor with 1X lumber and 1/2" ply. I may even skin the bottom of the floor with aluminum or 1/8" ply sealed up with epoxy. I was thinking that if I did the extensions, I could weld on some angle to the ends, and that would help provide extra support for the sidewalls to rest on.

Thanks for the kudos, I need that right now, since I am terrified of messing it up. :shock:

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby JunkMan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:32 pm

AmyH wrote: I was thinking that if I did the extensions, I could weld on some angle to the ends, and that would help provide extra support for the sidewalls to rest on.
Amy

That sounds like a good plan, I think the 1/2" ply and 1"X lumber would need a little support. How will you go above the tires? Will your mattress just fit between the wheelwells?
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:33 pm

Amy,

You're phenomenal!! But it's no suprise how good your welds look after seeing the remodeling pictures. Great job on the frame so far.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steve 8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby AmyH » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:05 pm

Thanks Steve! I only hope that I can get close to the level of craftsmanship that you have! :lady:

Junkman, I am planning to build around the tires. I am probably going to follow Mike's photos of his Baja Benroy pretty closely, but I do have these fenders that I might try to use as well. I may do something similar to what Gerdo did. I was taking a look at his gallery, and I like how he utilitzed the fenders and built around them. I'll still build a box around the fender on the inside.

In retrospect, I wish that I had found this website before I ordered the axle. :x Then I would have made alterations for a 5' wide trailer early on in the planning. Ah well, I will make it work for me, now that I have it.

Amy
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Boodro » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:27 am

Amy , VERY nice lookin frame & great welds too! Keep it up & you'll be campin in no time! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:55 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Amy, I think I would get some lightweight 1 1/2 angle, weld a tab to each end and maybe one in front and rear of wheel and run a length down the outside to box the entire structure....damn nice looking welds...good work
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby weasel » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:57 am

Amy, super work!!! :thumbsup: If I was buildin' a 5' wide build it 5'. You could lenghten your axle, supports etc. Easier now than later. I lenghten my 4' axle and built the frame to it. Your weldin' is alot better than mine :lol:
weasel
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:15 pm

Amy,

I agree with Steve. Those welds are great. I tried some while my son-in-law was here Sat, welding my frame for me. I am awful at it. Maybe with practice, I could weld a straight line. I love that clamp rack. You must be like me. I do more designing and making jigs, work benches, work stands, tool holders, than I do making things with the tools. My wife is afraid that after building my TTT, I'll just forget about it. She thinks that my fun is in the designing and building...and she could be right about that part. But, I do plan on using my TTT.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby AmyH » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:49 pm

Thanks guys, it means a lot to me coming from you all! I have been admiring so much of the work that you all have done, and I have been kicking myself to get mine going. I plan on spending next weekend finishing the welding and getting the chassis ready to paint. Being a gov't worker, I'll be getting a nice three-day weekend, which really helps!

Dale, I do tend to plan, and plan, and plan, and plan.....sometimes to the detriment of ever getting anything done. :lol: I also hate to work in a cluttered space, hence the fancy clamp rack. I am trying to ignore that half of my garage space is cluttered with the rest of the tools.

Madjack, I think that I am going to try doing something very similar to what you suggested. It sounds like it would give it a good amount of strength.

Thanks again guys, Amy
Amy

Photo Log
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:12 am

Clamp Rack? I don't need no stinkin clamp rack!!! Actually, I do. I have a strip of aluminum tubular screwed to the lintel where the original sun porch ended and the new floor added on where I use as my workshop. I just clamp mine to the piece of aluminum, except for the ones over 24", and they just lean against the wall in the corner. Someday, I'll convert this porch into a real workshp and build a nice wall rack for my clamps.

Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:38 am

Andrew had a design or two which used cross members that extended out past the main frame. Do you still have that picture handy Andrew?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby angib » Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:34 am

mikeschn wrote:Andrew had a design or two which used cross members that extended out past the main frame. Do you still have that picture handy Andrew?

You got me there, Mike - I can't think what it is you're describing, unless it was the Kampmaster chassis, where the transverse 2"x2" angles pass under the frame rails:

Amy, I would say that you might as well add a couple of extensions now - it's a small price to pay to be certain. You only need add one at the front and the back of each side, and they should go out far enough to pick up the piece of 1" framing running along the side. There's absolutely no need to add more than this as the side will hold up the floor everywhere else (yes, I do mean to say it that way round!).

I think you could make the extensions from 2"x2" angle with the outer end sniped at 45 degrees so it's not too visible from outside. 2"x2" box would work if you are carrying the sides down past the frame - otherwise hiding and sealing the ends would be tedious.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:52 am

Yep, that would be the one!

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets