Canned Ham Base Questions (Caveman Camper)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Canned Ham Base Questions (Caveman Camper)

Postby Patrick Star » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:23 am

Hi, I'm building a 11×7ish Caveman camper from some Ebay plans. The plans say to frame the trailer with 2x4s, then secure a piece of 3/4 inch plywood, after some more framing for the wall anchors another piece of 3/4 inch plywood is then secured on top of that.

I've seen most people who use utility trailers lay boards (2x6 whatever) for the base of the camper.

My question is... do I need to make a deck on my trailer (1992 Coleman Chesapeake pop up) out of lumber, or will the 2, 3/4 inch pieces of plywood suffice???

Also going to use Lowe's FRP for the siding, but would a backing for the siding be necessary? Trying to keep weight down, it want a solid build.

Thanks, I promise I did use the search function first, lol

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Patrick Star
Teardrop Builder

Re: Canned Ham Base Questions (Caveman Camper)

Postby greygoos » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:31 pm

That is going to be one heavy trailer. I have used FRP from Lowes and Home D. It is my opinion that even though the FRP from both palces have the same thickness I found the sheet from Home D was better than Lowes. Yes you need to use backing for FRP. I made a Foamie a few years back and covered the outside with FRP and glued it on with PL Premium It is also not UV rated so you might consider primer and paint. Have you looked at the design library? Take a look at the Wanderer, you might get some ideas for framing and walls.
greygoos
Silver Donating Member

Re: Canned Ham Base Questions (Caveman Camper)

Postby Patrick Star » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm

I think it's just 1. I'vehad the plans for a while, but never got to study them
I have looked at that camper, it's what inspired me to do this, a bit more room
Patrick Star
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets