Corroseal

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Corroseal

Postby rmclarke » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:48 pm

Snagged an old pop up frame. Lots of surface rust, nothing deep.

I remember all the sand, sand, sanding, grinding etc I did on the Sunhopper.
As I looked into alternatives to this masochistic endeavour, I came across Corroseal and thought, 'give it a shot'.
Well, I'm impressed....the stuff turns iron oxide into magnetite and the results are pretty darn good.

It doesn't work if the all the rust is removed. Just remove flaky or scaly rust, I then used a bit of sandpaper to get in crannies then blew it off and wiped with denatured alcohol. You paint a thick coat on...(it looks like Elmers glue) ..I used a brush, could use a roller, they don't advise spraying it or diluting and let dry 24 hr.

They say you can use primer over and paint (they recommend oil base). I'm going to spray Rustoleum I think.

I think this has great potential....at least it does...for me. :)

Richard
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Re: Corroseal

Postby working on it » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:20 pm

I've used rust converters on several projects before: Klean-Strip spray-on, Corroseal from a jug, and even Naval Jelly in a concentrate.

The spray-on was just used to take the red tinge off of my old '69 C-10's patina, converting it to a black and green combination (which I liked, and even waxed over it!), but for real rust conversion I used Corroseal (on automotive axles, frames, etc.). After removing scale, it converted the surfaces nicely, and usually looked good enough to not require any painting over (on beaters & daily drivers). It stopped the deterioration of my trailer's original axle, though it had resided in a marshy area for twenty years, and almost made it look OK (though badly pitted). It's a good rust-stopper.

I think the naval jelly was either too strong, or left on too long on an antique garage jack (front-end lift bumper jack from the '30's) I was trying to save, but after continually applying coat after coat of the jelly, it just fell apart. It was probably all-rust, and no substance anyway.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Re: Corroseal

Postby swoody126 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:48 am

OSPHO(got it @ ACE) is another

a quick swipe w/ a wire brush and paint it on(greenish liquid turns black when cured) to become a "sound" base for painting the color of choice

began using the stuff for the battery box under the back seat of my VW Thing that had thru rust

'twas still holding ground when i sold her

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets