5X8 Northern Tool Questions

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

5X8 Northern Tool Questions

Postby pcovell74 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:05 pm

5X8 Northern Tool question here.

I looked on the Sticky and although it has a lot of information on other trailers, I didn't see anything on the Norther Tools trailers, and before anyone suggest that I buy a 4X8, I want to fit a queen size bed it it without modification to the mattress. OK so here are my questions.

1. Right now the 5X8 is on sale for $500 (regular price $550). Should I jump on it or wait for a better sale later? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200612541_200612541
2. I've seen a couple of post about another broken NT trailer. Are they prone to breakage? If so what are their weak points?
3. If its a rated at 1700 load capacity, are they just referring to the axle and springs capacity? Can this be increased by adding better axles, like a Dexer?
4. Whats everyone's honest option about them?

Appreciate the input.
Thanks,
Preston
pcovell74
Teardrop Inspector

Re: 5X8 Northern Tool Questions

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:28 am

Many of us have built on the NT 5x8. When I built the X-Cubed almost 5 years ago, I modified my frame kit because my overall design required it, but the modifications aren't absolutely necessary. Most people will agree that youre wiser to spend a little more on the 5x8 kit, rather than the 4x8 kit. Its more comfortable, and resale (when the time comes) should be easier. I replaced the standard axle with a torsion axle, and lengthened the tongue. Its all documented in my build thread for the white and orange camper in my signature. When I bought my kit 5 years ago, I believe I got it on sale for $449, but that was 5 years ago. So what you're seeing may be the best deal these days.

It was cheaper and easier for me to modify the NT kit, than it would have been to have a full custom frame built. The NT kit comes with the paperwork that many states require for registration. And I'd do it the same way again if/when I build another.
Last edited by absolutsnwbrdr on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:45 pm

I built my 5 x 10 Modern Cub using the 5 x 8 Northern Tool no floor landscape trailer. For my build, I had the tongue mod done by a friend who has a welding business. After he was done, and paid off, he tells me I could probably build you a better trailer for less than you got into that thing. He was right I figured. But, I didn't have the knowledge I do now to get it registered. I would look into registering a home built trailer. And the cost of getting it welded up. The trailer is the foundation of the build. My current problem is the slipper spring slip points. Wearing fast! Have about 4500 miles on it, and some pretty good wear already! Once the camper is on the frame, can't just start welding on it!! If I really have to, I'll build a square tube frame, and set this one onto it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby dmdc411 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:07 pm

I didn't hit on the tongue mod I had done. The weak point was the front two cross members the tongue is attached to, and the short tongue. I had 18 inches in tongue length added, along with a step up for the receiver. And diagonals added. The diagonals extend back, and welded to the front leaf spring mounts. This made the entire trailer much stronger! Other than that, I added two stabilizers at the rear corners. I really never use them, just the tongue jack. And that I was able to disect, and shorten.

dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:08 am

dmdc411 wrote:I didn't hit on the tongue mod I had done. The weak point was the front two cross members the tongue is attached to, and the short tongue. I had 18 inches in tongue length added, along with a step up for the receiver. And diagonals added. The diagonals extend back, and welded to the front leaf spring mounts. This made the entire trailer much stronger! Other than that, I added two stabilizers at the rear corners. I really never use them, just the tongue jack. And that I was able to disect, and shorten.

The trailer you used is quite different from the trailer kit that pcovell74 is going to use. The trailer kit already has an A-frame tongue, whereas the ready-to-roll trailer only had a single tongue member.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:57 am

Out of curiosity, do most folks end up having to move the axle on the NT trailers?

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Minics04 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:06 am

I have the N/T 5 x 8 Aluminum trailer.

At first I did not move the axle position. It towed just fine. Tongue weight was 90 pounds with a storage box on front and battery inside the box.

I wanted a little more tongue weight, so I moved the axle to 35-40% from the rear of the trailer. I think I moved it 8 inches back. Tongue weight now is 150 pounds. My camper weights 1000 lbs. With gear, the tongue weight is just about 10% which is where I wanted it.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:31 am

tony.latham wrote:Out of curiosity, do most folks end up having to move the axle on the NT trailers?

:thinking:

Tony

Since I had to drill new mounting holes when I replaced the stock axle with a #9 Torflex, I shifted the centerline of the hubs back 6" from stock position. Tows like a dream without bogging down the suspension on my Crosstrek.
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Postby tearlurker » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 am

I just ordered the 5x8 aluminum trailer. Free shipping as opposed to the steel trailer which had a freight charge of $109. With tax it was only $140 difference. Incidentally, Retailmenot.com has a coupon code (261282) for a free $50 NT e-certificate if you spend $500 or more.
tearlurker
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pcovell74 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:52 am

Well I just ordered mine from the Local NT that just opened up. They did not have it in stock but it’s free shipping to the store and it’s not that far from the house. Got everything for $509 out the door. I’m eager to get it put together so I can use it to start hauling plywood. I plan on putting dexter torsion axles on it later, but I am on a budged so a little at a time.
Thanks,
Preston
pcovell74
Teardrop Inspector

Postby absolutsnwbrdr » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:52 am

pcovell74 wrote:Well I just ordered mine from the Local NT that just opened up. They did not have it in stock but it’s free shipping to the store and it’s not that far from the house. Got everything for $509 out the door. I’m eager to get it put together so I can use it to start hauling plywood. I plan on putting dexter torsion axles on it later, but I am on a budged so a little at a time.

Good deal! Look forward to the progress! :thumbsup:
Zach
Coming Soon...
Image Image
absolutsnwbrdr
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets