Axle weight question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Axle weight question

Postby tmclemore » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:21 pm

I have a Dexter axle rated at 2000#. It came on the original popup that I converted. When I re worked the trailer I upgraded the springs to 2700#. The trailer weighs 1780 dry and I expect that I will fill it with a lot of necessary camping gear and for sure go over the limit of the axle. So I was looking for a way to upgrade the axle and called a trailer parts supplier to ask them about it. They offer a hub rated at 1360# each that fits the Dexter axle. The bearings are the same 1-1/6 x 1-1/6. My question is how much of the axle rating is determined by the axle itself and how much is determined by the hub rating? It doesn't make sense to me that the same bearing and axle size could be rated for two different weight limits but according to the trailer supply they are. Has anyone else experienced this?
:thinking:

Tom
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Axle weight question

Postby tmclemore » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:05 pm

tmclemore wrote:I have a Dexter axle rated at 2000#. It came on the original popup that I converted. When I re worked the trailer I upgraded the springs to 2700#. The trailer weighs 1780 dry and I expect that I will fill it with a lot of necessary camping gear and for sure go over the limit of the axle. So I was looking for a way to upgrade the axle and called a trailer parts supplier to ask them about it. They offer a hub rated at 1360# each that fits the Dexter axle. The bearings are the same 1-1/6 x 1-1/6. My question is how much of the axle rating is determined by the axle itself and how much is determined by the hub rating? It doesn't make sense to me that the same bearing and axle size could be rated for two different weight limits but according to the trailer supply they are. Has anyone else experienced this?
:thinking:

Tom

This is the link to the hubs in question.

https://www.easternmarine.com/1-1-16-be ... -kit-81065 They are actually rated at 1350.

Tom
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bobhenry » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:22 am

Towing equipment is down rated 50% from failure testing. This is standard procedure for Drawtite and many others. Your 5000 pound receiver hitch will not fail at 5001 pounds it will withstand almost 9000 + but is down rated from a test failure to about 1/2 for a large margin of safety. This is the same for most axle, spring, and ball mounts. I would not be too concerned with a hundred pound or so over the rated weight limits.
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby tmclemore » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks. I ordered the hubs. Should be here before the weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tmclemore » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:23 pm

I received the hubs yesterday and had a chance to get them installed this afternoon. The fit as described and they are a little heftier than the old ones. You can see the difference in the picture.

So by replacing these hubs I was able to effectively upgrade my weight limit from 2000#s to 2700#s, according to the trailer parts salesman. I guess only time will tell. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tmclemore
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets