axles

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

axles

Postby BrwBier » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:50 pm

Half axles or full beam? Are their any down sides to using half axles or is it better to go with a full beam axle
Brwbier
BrwBier
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:35 pm

personally, I say full beam(this relates to torsion axles)...with a full beam axle the axle tube acts as a crossmember eliminating one of 'em, with stub axles you haveta build bracing/crossmembers etc for them to mount on. Full beam axles usually have a slight bend in the tube to provide camber(caster) to help give better tracking and it is easier(Ithink) to mount stubs so they are outta line...however, they are less expensive and can give equally satisfying service...it is your decision after all
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby remarquian » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:05 pm

madjack wrote:...with a full beam axle the axle tube acts as a crossmember eliminating one of 'em, with stub axles you haveta build bracing/crossmembers etc for them to mount on....however, they [half torsion axles] are less expensive and can give equally satisfying service...it is your decision after all
madjack 8)

Yes, I'm thinking of using a Flex-Ride 1400. At 37 pounds it's pretty light, and, in my case, I think it's a plus that the cross member can also act as a support for the floor.

I'm wondering if anyone else has used them (the FR-1400, in particular), likes them, and can report on how hard it was to get them aligned.

Thanks,

rob
remarquian
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:58 pm

Not shure about the flex-ride but you can't use a Dexter as a floor support. It will tie the frame sides together but due to the peak in the axle it won't do a good job of supporting the floor.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby remarquian » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:09 pm

AF,

The FR 1400 is a torsion half axle.

Sorry about the lack of clarity.

rob
remarquian
Donating Member

Postby angib » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:41 pm

remarquian wrote:can report on how hard it was to get them aligned.

Every back-street trailer builder in Britain, and most of Yurp, uses separate half-axles and their trailers tow just fine. Put a straight edge acroos the two units to line them up with each other before fixing them down. It's popular here to buy the pre-drilled plates to bolt the units to - the plates are bolted to the units, they're aligned and tack welded, and then unbolted for full welding. It would be sensible to sequence the welding to minimize distortion.

Everyone here tells you using half-axles is a big problem because they haven't seen it done - but that doesn't mean it's a big problem, it means they haven't seen it done!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:14 pm

asianflava wrote:Not shure about the flex-ride but you can't use a Dexter as a floor support. It will tie the frame sides together but due to the peak in the axle it won't do a good job of supporting the floor.

Besides, the axle shaft is under the frame side rails, below the floor.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets